Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us your turn-in boxes!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show us your turn-in boxes!

Folks- Huskee here, hijacking scorched_porch's thread.
    Let's make this a "show us your turn-in boxes" thread.

Post pictures, if you'd like, of competition-style turn-in boxes, whether you're at an actual competition or just practicing, and the community can have a peek and offer constructive criticism!

Let's have fun with this!

[Back to scorched_porch's original post:]

Well, if competition chicken doesn't haunt your dreams, I don't know what does. This is TOUGH. This weekend I bench marked my first test box. I had fun doing it, and I can see where I need to tighten a lot of screws to get this thing down. I bought some large boxes to practice with. I picked 6 of my best thighs out of 10. Bite through skin? Not yet. I'm experimenting with temps - I did this at 275. Flavor good, well balanced. Presentation - the parsley got a little unruly on me, but I suppose I'd clean it up better before turning it in. What do you competition veterans think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0070 (3).JPG
Views:	458
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	71266
    Last edited by Huskee; March 19, 2015, 05:45 PM.

No veteran, but on the right, need to trim that green stuff down, tis blocking the meat product.

Comment

• scorched_porch
      scorched_porch commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right - and you know what's funny? I never noticed it until the picture. I should photograph all my samples so I can critique them better. It's a continuing saga of perfection. Thanks for the comment.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      There is some website that you post pictures of your boxes and have people critique.

• scorched_porch
      scorched_porch commented
      Editing a comment
      The website for getting judged is :http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox in case anyone else is interested. I already sent this pic out there.

Looks good to me, Porch, but, hell, I'm from Detroit.

Comment

Ding, Ding, Ding... We have a winner! Looks real good to me Porch.

Comment

I think it looks really good! The skin not being bite-through will nail you with the judges though. Better to work on this one thing (or remove skin entirely!). Tough skin bit me this past weekend in Tupelo, where chicken was my lowest score (39/94). I wasn't watching time closely and it needed 10 more minutes to steam soft. It was really good after that 10 minutes!

I'm not a fan of the parsley box for chicken. It sticks all over the underside and parsley does have a taste. I like green leaf lettuce better. At least the judges don't have to pluck parsley off their sample.

Comment

• scorched_porch
          scorched_porch commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a lot for the comment. Here's what I did in this box in terms of parsley. Used green leaf lettuce to create a "floor" in the box and put parsley around the edges because I didn't want it sticking to the chicken as you mentioned. But the stuff on the edges did stick a bit - so I'll be rethinking this. 1 question - are you cooking your chicken at high temps?

I think it's beautiful!

You've given me a cool idea.....maybe we can start a thread dedicated to "competition-style turn-in boxes" for whoever here in The Pit wants to show off a little.

Anyone interested?

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll play! Got my boxes from Tupelo to post.

• CircleCityJoe
          CircleCityJoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea, rookies like myself new to competition bbq and looking for insight greatly appreciate any sound advice from seasoned competitors. This website is extremely helpful and I enjoy it alot.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome CircleCityJoe! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        I think it's beautiful!

You've given me a cool idea.....maybe we can start a thread dedicated to "competition-style turn-in boxes" for whoever here in The Pit wants to show off a little.

Anyone interested?

Great idea. Perhaps we just sticky this one and call it our competition turn in box thread.

Comment

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	72334 Tupelo Chicken Box -- All 9 in appearance
          Attached Files

Comment

• Baker Dan
            Baker Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks great!

• CircleCityJoe
            CircleCityJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm hungry now @CandySueQ
            Really nice looking drumsticks!👍

• BarBQ22
            BarBQ22 commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you show us what it looks like before you place the chicken in it when you have a chance? I've seen lettuce wrapped in cling wrap tightly, refrigerated and cut in discs but that's it. Thank you

Pork box from Tupelo -- again all 9's in appearance. This one was 6/94!

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	72337

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, right clicking the pic and selecting "open in new tab" or "open in new window" should work.

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee, I am on a laptop sans mouse. David Parrish, that did the trick. Thanks!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            FLBuckeye Pit Boss' tip is exactly what pressing your mouse wheel, when the cursor is on a pic, does. I discovered this handy shortcut purely by accident. So if ever you're running a mouse you know a shortcut to picture zooming!

Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
          Pork box from Tupelo -- again all 9's in appearance. This one was 6/94!

[ATTACH]n72337[/ATTACH]
          Congrats!
          Last edited by Craigar; March 18, 2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Can you guys tell me what 'bite through' skin is?

Never heard that term before.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              When you bite through the skin, it doesn't pull off in one piece. Difficult to do at times. The key is to get it soft enough to just separate when bitten.

Here are my turn-in boxes from Reno Sam's Club event. First comp of the year so I have some work to do. The appearance scores were good on ribs (all 9) and pork (9,9,9,9,9,8) but need improvement on brisket (7,8,9,9,9,9) and chicken (7,7,7,8,9,9).
            Last edited by Smokeshow; April 7, 2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              Those look really good. I don't understand why your chicken got dinged. Pieces look uniform

• Smokeshow
              Smokeshow commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a rare instance where the picture of a turn-in box looks better than the original. The top 3 were a bit longer than the middle & bottom 3, I tried to mask that by making sure they lined up horizontally. The trimming was not as clean as I would have liked, the edges were not straight and the corners had some skin folded over. When I opened the package of chicken I found the legs (I use whole legs and cut the thighs off myself for better skin coverage, more consistent sizing and better shape) were not as good as I had in the past. I Used a good quality chicken, Mary's Organic, but they had a lot of yellow fat and the butchering was rough.

Originally posted by Smokeshow View Post
            Here are my turn-in boxes from Reno Sam's Club event. First comp of the year so I have some work to do. The appearance scores were good on ribs (all 9) and pork (9,9,9,9,9,8) but nee improvement on brisket (7,8,9,9,9,9) and chicken (7,7,7,8,9,9).
            Great, thanks for this Smokeshow ! This is a fun thread. And welcome to The Pit! When you get a minute head over to the Introduce Yourself thread and give us a bio.

Comment

This was last Saturday's brisket. Took 5th place. It was an IBCA competition so no garnish. This was a Wal-Mart Excel choice. Doing SRF Gold for the Variety Childrens' BBQ contest in Memphis this weekend.

Name:	Delight15BR.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	87153

Comment

2nd place brisket in Wynne, AR on June 13th. 1st place was a perfect, perfect (that's all 6 judges giving 999).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here