Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I won a chili cook-off competition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I won a chili cook-off competition...

I didn't post this prior but won a chili coo-off comp that the Winston Salem Jaycees put together a few months ago. It was sponsored by Foothill's Brewing with about 25 competitors. It was a lot of fun even though I did not know a soul. Location was Foothill's Tasting Room and the atmosphere was really cool. Chili was made with smoked brisket point. Here is the dilemma. Since this was on FB (it had it's own page) people got to see the winners. Someone messaged me after the contest just a simple chat. Well, she messaged me again asking how much I would charge for a crockpot of the chili. I really don't know where to start in regards to pricing aside from totaling the cost of the ingredients. I also would not use smoked brisket as I would have to but the whole packer and that just isn't going to be cost effective for her or me because I have no need for a flat. I am going to explain this to her and that chuck would be a much better choice price-wise and the chili will be just as good. I just don't know how to give her a fair price. Any suggestions are very welcomed.

Congrats!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir!

Well done on the win.
    If I'm not mistaken Frozen Smoke always takes the cost of materials and doubles that.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

And be liberal about the doubling. You sound the the type to underestimate what you do to be fair. It’s not that I’m encouraging gouging a customer but be fair to yourself. Congrats on achieving chili stardom!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan thank you for the kind words. Cooking for people is what brings me joy and when someone thinks my food is good enough to inquire purchase it really makes me happy.

I'd sum the cost of the ingredients, figure out what my time is worth and how much of my time I'd need to spend, add in the cost of anything else that might be needed (like the cost of shopping (including mileage) and prepping), total it all up and present the price with a straight face. The worst she can do is say "no" ... ...

Congrats on the win, BTW ...

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Yea congrats as well, that's quite an achievement !! Any chance we can get you to post the award winning recipe ??

I conquer with the gentlemen above. The doubling your ingredients rule is pretty standard but weigh that against the actual amount of time and direct cost you have in it, PLUS a little profit for yourself !! Also, in many states there are controls on selling food to the general public, you may need a caterer's license of some sort. Just fair warning if it begins to take off !!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman thank you very much. I appreciate the good insight and advice.

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
    Also, in many states there are controls on selling food to the general public, you may need a caterer's license of some sort. Just fair warning if it begins to take off !!
    It’s probably a sting, just tell her no.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Lmao!!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      wise guy

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha!!!

Congrats on the win!

I, personally, wouldn't do it for the reasons mentioned above (license), you might be OK where you live, but I'd never risk it in this State. I also concur about labor time. I've had friends/family offer to buy jerky from me. I basically tell them that it'd cost them too much for me to make it worth my time. Besides, if I'm putting all that time into it, I want the jerky!

Comment

If I was in your shoes I would probably just give her a general version (or complete, if you don't care about keeping it a secret) of the recipe. Not sure on the legalities, but maybe if you wanted to keep it a secret you could just sell her a Ziploc of premeasured spices and give her the recipe to do the rest?

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        She definitely doesn't want to do the work, lol. I don't think she has the resources either.

This site should help? After reading the local laws, If it was for a friend and I wasn't turning a profit... but a complete stranger, no way. Read a few other articles about our cottage law, but having dogs or cats makes it an automatic no go if they ever come in the house. https://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/homebiz.htm

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gracias.

Definitely figure out what the ingredients will cost you, then multiply x 3 for materials. Figure out what your time is worth (shopping time, prep time, cooking time, delivery time), then double that. (Pay yourself at a rate of at least $15/hour). Don't forget mileage to the store/stores and back figured at $0.52 per mile.

If you don't like doing that, contact a place that does good chili and ask them how much it would cost for 3 gallons of their chili. That will help you figure a ballpark idea. (Assuming she is asking for 1 to 2 crockpots full of chili).

Remember that she is asking to pay you for your expertise and is asking you to go out of your way to do this.

Comment

Be careful, I suppose. But, if you do, just charge her a good healthy amount that makes you smile so you feel like it was worth your effort. And forget about explaining point vs flat. Just charge her for both and only use the point.

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

First... congratulations!

Second...Don’t step over to the dark side. Don’t do it. The variables are many.

Third... never tell someone what You didn’t serve them, or are not going to serve them.

If you decide after all that you want to sell food then... lets talk...

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Third... something I must stop doing.... good wise advice from a pro.

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks HouseHomey. Good advice.

Congrats. I would not sell food I made - period. If you sell food, your homeowner's insurance probably would not cover any problems that might occur. And you never know if someone is trying to scam you by claiming injury.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here