Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comp trailer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comp trailer question

I am looking to get into pro competitions and I would like to have a trailer that I can run a food trailer/catering BBQ business out of. The business is going to be the main thing

My concerns are: should I get a trailer with a bed or get a small trailer with an RV. I hope to enter 5+ pro events a year.

Any recommendations?

I would like to see your set up.

Here's my winning set up. I just cook all the meat within a 100 mile radius so no one can compete.
    I win every time
    Attached Files

Comment

• Hayduke
      Hayduke commented
      Editing a comment
      HAHA! I bet you do

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      And that is just his rig for women's church groups.

I have been to several competitions and everyone does it different. Most people have a RV to sleep in and prep food. The rigs run the gamut. Have you ever attended one? It is quite an eye opener! You can rent an RV until you decide. One thing I learned is the majority of these teams go to a competition every week and most of the big boys are sponsored. They are all very friendly good o boys that become friends. I find it a different kind of fun. It is challenging and sometimes you place!
    Also, remember that clean up and storage should be part of the equation when determining what you want to buy.
    Last edited by jecucolo; September 13, 2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Hayduke
      Hayduke commented
      Editing a comment
      I have judged them. I need to just head down to the next close one and talk to some folks and see first hand what they have. Thanks!!

Size of cook sites is a factor
    A 20X70 site for our Class A and our Cater trailer are starting to get kinda $$$

Really kinda miss my Wells Cargo with a restroom and benches that folded flat for sleep
    I towed it with my Suburban
    Rolled the smokers out on the tailgate which was sitting level on jacks

You don't need to spend huge $$
    just need a table and a cooker

Go cook and find what is right for you

Comment

• Hayduke
      Hayduke commented
      Editing a comment
      The rig will be for a business mostly so I am expecting some big $$$ I will have to look into Wells Cargo. Thanks!

check my profile pic out. This is what I use. We also cater at least 1 a month. PM if you need any more.

Comment

I do it pretty simple but it works. I’ve thought about getting a camper and things like that which would make it much more enjoyable I’m sure. Especially if I could start doing more events and farther away events. "If" I sleep I have a great recliner chair from Costco I can kick back and relax in for under a canopy with the sides down. Or I have just jumped in the truck and slept for a couple hours. Each event and who I am with kind of determines it. I do think 2 canopies goes a long way. I’ll attach a pic from some of my events.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've cooked out of a trailer and currently use a pull behind cooker on a class b RV.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	trktrlr.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	570235

Name:	trkjambo.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	570236

Name:	yoder-van.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	570237

While food service trailers can be used in competition, competition trailers may not qualify for food service. You have to have a serving window. A porch trailer with cookers on the back is nice.

What cookers do you use? Hardest thing for me to lose when I gave up the trailer was the flexibility of having multiple cooking devices.

Hardest thing with the RV is no mobility once you get to an event. And everything has to be cooked in one cooker. Big advantage is quick setup and take down. I am packed and ready to leave in about 15 minutes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here