Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presentation Help - New Competitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presentation Help - New Competitor

I seem to be nailing flavor based on my score sheets and everyone raves about my cooking at home.. Seem to getting dinged on presentation. Anything you can suggest on how to make my sauce glaze more and less clumpy so to speak without changing the flavor profile.
    Attached Files

Any idea what the clumps are? You ban use a an immersion blender, vita mix, pass it through a tamme or Chinois.

Comment

Thin your sauce down some. Dip chicken, don't brush -- I can see your brush marks!

May I suggest you use green leaf lettuce or kale for garnish? If you're set on using parsley, make a thicker bed of it. Make sure all the stems are down towards the bottom. Don't want to see any white box thru the greenery.

Baby backs in the 3rd photo are your best looking meat. First box the ribs look too pale. Is your chicken rub on consistently? It looks like spots are missed. You can fill pale spots in while the chicken is cooking...

Comment

• isu006
        isu006 commented
        Editing a comment
        Its a thinner sauce, but maybe too many sweet components? I am wondering if I use some apple juice to thin it at Comp?

• smn1285
        smn1285 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure. Or apple cider vinegar.

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally agree about the garnish. I know a number of judges that get irritated at having to pick parsley off the product before being able to taste it. Officially, that shouldn't impact your score, but if a judge is already cranky about plucking off parsley...

Dito

honey in your sauce will give you gloss
      I don’t know if it works with your flavors
      Last edited by Thom Emery; August 20, 2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• isu006
        isu006 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am using Maple Syrup, but used honey in the past. I think it would help it to be honest

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_54.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	551930 shine town

Comment

As said above, try dipping your meats as opposed to brushing them to avoid the brush marks and clumping and it goes on more even. Definitely blend or smooth out your sauce in some fashion to get all chunks out. Your box needs to look as full as possible. Even though there are only 6 judges, put in as many pieces that fit. It fills the box out. Here are my presentation boxes that got great scores. 6 large chicken thighs and 8 ribs filled out these boxes. Went with a lettuce bed and parsley to fill in the spaces.
        Attached Files

Comment

• isu006
          isu006 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow that looks amazing.. I def need to work on filling in the boxes..

Ok so I dipped and thinned the sauce out... Looks better!!
        Attached Files

Comment

And my Ribs
          Attached Files

Comment

Check out this Facebook group for 100s of turn in box pictures
            BBQ TURN IN BOX CRITIQUE

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here