Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition Ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition Ribeye

i entered an amateur BBQ competition and an optional ribeye category was announced. No extra cost. I am going to do a reverse sear and am comfortable with the cook.

My question is, how do I plate this?

Bone in? If so, if there isn’t a lot of time in between perhaps cut off the bone and slice and plate next to the bone fanned out?

Comment

We supply our own meat so I guess it can be bone in or out. I was planning boneless.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw someone post on FB a steak for a contest and it was left in tack. Looked like a boneless ribeye. Had cross hatch grill marks. Otherwise it came down to flavor.

My fear is the thermal carryover overcooking that dude. I've read of people allowing it to cool some before searing to slow that down. Of course slicing should mitigate the carryover, hopefully.

Comment

if you supply your own meat, get a Waygu, lol.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Stay away from A5, they won't know what they are eating.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard I actually like prime as much as I like waygu. I like the beef flavor and chew on the prime, and the succulence and fat of the waygu.

If the organizer does not spell out the exact method for presentation
        You may be in for a disappointment
        Unsanctioned events are always a crap shot
        If its sanctioned it will be completely spelled out

Comment

This entry was 7th out of 80-something in Nashville, TN this past March. This was an SCA contest and my presentation would have been turned around so the skirt would be away from the hinge. Steak is cut crosswise to show the "eye" and then judges take a piece from the skirt to evaluate. I got lucky!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Steak.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	536618

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here