Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first KCBS competition - bad results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first KCBS competition - bad results

My first KCBS competition (Smokin on Big Creek BBQ, Pleasant Hill, MO) in March did not go very well. I was responsible for pork. Our team ended 33/39 in this category - kind of disappointing for me. I did get very good scores on both on appearance and tenderness, but I got terrible scores on taste (6 7 7 7 8 9). I did not see that coming and cannot figure out what was wrong, especially when I liked the final product a lot (as well as everyone in my team). My recipe (high-level): butcher's bbq injection, killer hog rub, finishing sauce mix of IPO bbq sauce, apple juice, and cider vinegar. I plan on doing exactly the same thing on my next comp, however given the consistency of the judges, I think there is something wrong with what I do.

What would be some of the flavor profiles that are known to work with KCBS for pork? Any advise on how to step up in this category?

My turn-in box (the money muscle is sliced, it is just not visible on the picture well):
    turn-in box pork
    Last edited by TomasG; April 8, 2018, 07:24 PM.

Ya placed higher than I ever have!
    I admire yer drive, to get out there an compete!
    Best of Luck, amigo!

Comment

Oh man, if you and your team liked it, it must have been good!
      Were you able to taste the other pits cooks?

Comment

• TomasG
        TomasG commented
        Editing a comment
        Did not try anything from top 20 unfortunately.

My guess would be the rub. Don’t get me wrong l really like Malcom Reed and his videos but I don’t care for his rub. My guess is to try a different rub.

Comment

• ljk925
        ljk925 commented
        Editing a comment
        What don't you like about Reed's rub? I've never had it but was thinking of giving it a try. Curious as to your thoughts.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        ljk925 it's too sweet

• ljk925
        ljk925 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh, that's good to know. Thank you for the info, sir.

Don't change a thing, next contest you might get 8 out 80. A guy on another forum placed 3 out of 73-75(forget the exact number) at a MAJOR competition, his team then entered a local 25 team contest and came out 23.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        well then I say his cook was a 10! His team was the judge! (they don't fib....)

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Could it just possibly, like maybe, sorta kinda, ya know, been, I mean ya never know, almost RIGGED?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea but guys like Myron Mixon win consistently because he knows how to play the game. It’s not just hit or miss...

Tuffy Stone has at least three local restaurants in our area - one less than ten minutes from us. I don't eat there because I don't care for the taste of his food. It's always well prepared, but just does not suit me. And he has won a ton of comps and been on tv and .....

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        smokenoob - I have met the man several times.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        DWCowles - The OP produced what his team thought were great ribs, but the judges didn't like them. Tuffy's meats are liked a lot by the judges, but not me and some of my friends. Maybe a different taste is what the judges want.

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        somehow I missed the point, didn’t see mention of Tuffy, I was just funnin’, hope no offense taken

I think it is hard to tell what you are going to do in the competition arena by judging it from your first time out. If you and your team really like the flavor of the meat I would not change anything unless you can compare your results with more than one time out. Look at it this way, your next time will have a totally different set of judges that may really like your flavor as much as you do. Then again if you do several comps and are getting consistently lower scores in that area then I think it would be time to change something. I have quite a few friends that enter in some of the local competitions and I don't know of even one that did that good the first time out but as they gained experience they started moving up in the rankings without changing anything at all with their flavor profile. Different judges, different day IMHO.

Comment

My only experience with comp cooking goes back 20 years and was local. I agree that a lot of it is subjective as well as very specific. There are certain flavor profiles they are looking for. What might taste bland or over powering might be what they are looking for. You need to learn what that is and repeat it.

Saw a video not too long ago about Aaron Franklin deciding to enter his first comp. He stayed up all night and entered several proteins, one being brisket of course. He came in something like 15th out of 30 submissions. Can you imagine 14 other people having better brisket than Franklin? Go figure.

Perhaps CSQ can give some insight into comp cooking and what buttons to hit. Good luck going forward and don’t give up !!

Comment

I competed in my first pro sanctioned event after doing well in amateur events. I BOMBED also. Very humbling. I am going to try again this year.

Comment

Competition is all about working them judges baby! If yours stands out as the black sheep, even in what you consider a good way, it can hurt you.

Comment

So much of competition is subjective, and as others have said, will vary based on the judges. I've not competed in BBQ, but have seen the same thing happen in BJCP sanctioned beer competitions. A beer that bombs with one set of judges in one city, may win with another set of judges in another city. I had a friend enter the same beer into a different category, and win best of show, when the prior year that same beer bombed in a slightly different category.

You will figure it out. Good luck!

Comment

Blues Hog or Head Country IMHO

Comment

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The combo of the two (1 to 1 ratio) is my BBQ sauce.

• Thom Emery
                  Thom Emery commented
                  Editing a comment
                  50/50 is our sauce

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love Head Country!

I'm a KCBS master judge and have judged 45 competitions which by some standards is not a lot. I, however, find that when it comes to low taste scores there is a dominant flavor that masks all the other taste components; typically sweet. Often I hear other judges commenting they could not taste the meat. All they could taste was sauce. The meat has to be center stage with smoke, sweet, spice and savory complimenting it in the background. As you know, that is not easy to do. Also, I believe it's difficult to be self-critical especially when you like what you like. A lot of cooks I know invite judges to come to their place to evaluate their practice cooks. You might find the direct feedback helpful. Good luck!

Comment

Good friends came by to taste my brisket after Hammond judging. He was bragging on his Coke marinated sweet beef. With that said, I had to invite him over for a taste of brisket done (IMO) right. My brisket is not sweet at all. There's a bit of Head Country sauce brushed over top to set on top of the bark (makes slicing easier). Y'all this brisket was spot on! Snake River black cooked to perfect pull test tender. They tasted it and judged it to be "money!" These folks would tell it to me straight up if it was bad. It scored 26 out of 48. Scores: 978 978 899 888 899 988

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018BR.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	480146

Comment

• TripleB
                    TripleB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is a BEAUTFUL Brisket!!! Nice job. Would love to sample it.

Oh, I like Yardbird and Dizzy Pig's Crossroads on pork. You should have staggered the money muscle some just so the judges could see the slices and the smoke ring.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here