Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak Contest setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak Contest setup

I'll take a photo later! I've settled on a new steak cooking configuration. A Weber Smoky Joe with Cobb Grill Grill Grates (I wanted edge all around the Grill Grates so the charcoal can "breathe") and a Lodge bacon press. The bacon press will hold the steaks down to get pretty grill marks. With my first contest of the year happening February 9-10, I'll get a couple of "Steak Nites" to practice! First contest in Monroe, LA, IBCA and SCA.

This doesn't count for MCS! Already had the cooker, Grill Grates. Got the carry bag and bacon press.

Oooohh yes, can't wait to see the pics!! I LOVE my Lodge bacon press too! I have always wanted to try my hand at a steak contest. Sounds so fun.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Really is! They provide steaks, you cook any way you want to. Sous vide and gas is legal. I’ll get to pick my steaks but by sight only.

CandySueQ, Wish I could Be There‼️ Good Luck, Blue Ribbons All the Way, Make "The Pit" Proud❗️
    From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Sounds like you're getting ready for another busy comp season.
      If you need someone to judge your practice sessions I will volunteer.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m trying not to do what I did last fall. 2 contests back to back, then a weekend off. That’s the goal.

Good luck Candy Sue!

Comment

Can’t wait to see it.

Comment

Wow. It seems like you just finished the last season a week ago. Oh, BTW..... it counts. 😀

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Not on my list!

Great idea!
          With 3 Smokey Joe's, I'll haveta give this a whirl!
          Good Luck, Candy!

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I had a 10 gallon ugly drum smoker. Used it until the bottom rusted away. Then it had added life as the midsection of a Smoky Joe.

love this travel case! About $19.50 from Amazon.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	5CB53D04-1D7B-45A9-B554-68266BD915CF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	444080
          opening it up. There’s a strap to hold the Joe to the case.

Click image for larger version  Name:	503CA165-95D7-4AD8-A983-F365A5F5A9B4.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	444084
          Hard part was finding a press that didn’t have a tall handle. This is on sale for under $15 again at Amazon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E82BEA8F-8747-40FD-8FF2-41FDBFEC536C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	444083
          Cobb Grill Grates I had. Since I want a hot fire, it will get lots of air with the open edges. I know that these Grill Grates do cut fire way back in the Cobb.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	85C5E3ED-5E74-41E4-A35D-615EBC6F6C71.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	444085
          Attached Files

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the exact press I have. I have the smooth bottom. your gonna LOVE that thing!

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks PERFET!!!! I really need a panini press or bacon press for my J. Wellington Wimpy burgers, I don't like running two spatulas when I am drunk....too many moving parts. I cant wait for pics. What size are the steaks they give you?

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Usually about 1/2 inch thick ribeyes. My purpose with the press is to get consistent grill marks on ONE side. The other side doesn't matter, it's not seen. I use Meathead's guide for thin steaks. Use a ChefAlarm super thin probe to keep temp right.

I have that press too. Makes great smash burgers since it won’t bend under any pressure I can manage.
          between that, a cast or steel griddle, and a wallpaper scraper, it’s smashing.

Comment

I would think that plus an SV machine makes the perfect portable steak kit. Especially if you are searious.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              wah wah wahhhhhhhh...ba dumt dum crash!

Thanks fer th additional pics, Candy! Very cool setup, indeed!
            I'll haveta hunt fer this Travel case on Amazon, or is it made for a Smokey Joe?

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              use a smokey joe, a tamale steamer and a ratchet strap. small bag of charcoal goes inside the steamer along with thermometer, and a few paraffin starters, and you have youself a fantastic portable smoker. if you want details, pm me.

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              It is made for Smoky Joe.

I like the grillgrate idea and the carry bag also, I need that.
            I made a SnS clone for my smokey joe for my son to use in the kids Q. Dave was not making and he didn't think there was enough room for it, but i disagree and it works really well. What do you think?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4364.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	444126Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4365 (1).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	444127

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Love that!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Candy Sue. I have two Lodge grills I was going sell or something. One of them was square with this press. Never thought of .........well maybe you get the picture. Sorta like couldn’t see the forest for the trees.

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              My number is 22 😊

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Mudkat, this isn’t a poll, but it’s rigged nonetheless. LOL 😂

First off, I wish you the best of luck. I am such a novice at this kind of stuff, but I have a question... I was told at a young age never to press burgers or steaks... are you concerned at all with the weight 'pushing out' some of the juice? Have I been misled my entire life?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, let’s just say a portion of your life & leave it at that.
              BTW (for you anachronists), steaks are bein discussed here, not burgers. Burgers are squishy in their make up, so’s we don’t want to squish the juice out o them. Steaks are not squishy. That is my scientific reply. I will now consider writing a book.

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Kenji does a nice job in his book and blog on serious eats "the food lab" on optimal burger cookery and how it bifurcates into thin diner style burgers vs thick steakhouse style burgers.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here