Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lollipops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lollipops?

First real big comp #meatstock coming to NZ I'm just wondering how well chicken lollipop's place in competition's?

Is it a sanctioned event with KCBS or just some local backyard cook? I have used them for my last two competitions.

VERY IMPORTANT: They are not as easy as they look.... Getting all the tendons cut and cut right, the extra bone right, and the knuckle cleaned is a real pain in the butt. I got the idea from a Malcom Reed video and he made it look a lot easier than what it is as far as prep goes....

Make sure you foil the bone while cooking so it doesn't discolor too bad....

I use a slightly modified version of Meathead's Memphis Dust and then I blend a couple different BBQ sauces...

The two times I have used them I got a 1st and a 2nd place finish on them.... however both were smaller backyard style cooks that weren't sanctioned.... One of my friends who is one of my main rivalries has done them the last two cooks as well... I have beat him by just a few points both times.... I think his looks a little better but mine taste a little better...

Good luck!

Comment

I don't compete in BBQ contests but I really try to make interesting things that will blow my non-BBQ friend's minds and excite their taste buds. Chicken lollipops are always a big hit. It makes really good treats for halftime food.
      Attached Files

Comment

Cheers guys this was my first run with them, yes I did remove the tendons Do you try and remove the skinny type pin bone that runs beside the big bone? Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_000630.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	229827

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Gorgeous!

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good... For competition I try to remove the little bone...

Those look amazing! I don't see these in the Tested Recipes for chicken, and I need to know more.
        Tell me how you cooked them, prepared them - I have GOT to do this.

Comment

I've done them as Buffalo lollipops. I didn't care for the work involved, although it made eating them much easier without the tendons and that earlobe-like glob. Skin and trim them, wet brine them, use medium/heavy kitchen shears after brining to cut the knuckle off, and them smoke until ~180 internal. Paint with my favorite Buffalo blend twice near the end of cooking and again at the end. I thought they were great but not sure I'd go through the hassle again, unless it were for show, like in a comp.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead we have the grandkids coming over on Sunday and Granny wants me to make some drumsticks. I told her I had just read a thread about lollipops so we are going to give this a go to see if the little curtain climbers will like them. I am hoping I get the same reaction you do.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Drumettes are much easier to lollipop -- not as many tendons!

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          I will have to put that in the memory bank. Unfortunately wifey already went out and bought a dozen while they were on sale this week. My guess is that is why the menu has been set for Sunday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hammondck.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	234300
        lollipop drumettes at the top.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here