Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contest update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contest update

I've done 2 more contests since my last competition post! My how time flies. Last contest was in Bryant, AR. I broke out the Gateway Drum to hang ribs. It really, really paid off, with 3rd place ribs. Amazing thing was baby back ribs cooked completely in 2 hours!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rb.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	227455

At 10:45 I check chicken in the Yoder. It was raw, seriously raw. I had just taken ribs off the drum, so I put the flat rack in and toasted those thighs to doneness. 10th place chicken!

Name:	ck.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	227456

Pork didn't do well. Ah well.

Brisket was top notch though! 4th place. Sorry upside down photo!

Name:	br.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	227457

Ended up finishing 5th overall. The drum is going this weekend too!

Congratulations!!! No worries about the upside down pic, I would stand on my head to eat that brisket!

Comment

Gotta love a drum smoker.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too! I'm thinking that with 2 drums I could do really well at contests. Be easy with one of those hitch holder things.

Congrats! The brisket looks very moist - do you inject?

Comment

Congrats! Great job!

Comment

What Jerod Broussard said ... can't go wrong with a drum (or two). Congrats!

Comment

Good for you! Ribs and brisket looked wonderful.

Comment

Barrel smokers are all the rage these days. From what I've heard anyway. Especially on the commotion circuit.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                You are right! Commotion Circuit -- I like that. It is a pile of commotion. I really did like the taste of the chicken and the ribs. I use lump charcoal though, not KBB.

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats CandySueQ I'm curious on what the 1st place winner was cooking on?

Comment

• CandySueQ
                  CandySueQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  4 Gateway Drums. They were my neighbors and used to be pellet cooks. Gave me a couple of very welcome tips.

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the quick response CandySueQ sounds like those Gateway drums are pretty popular.

Congrats, I agree with using lump. We talked to some teams at the Sam's Club event in Ypsilanti MI. And they were going start using drums for their chicken.

Comment

Congrats.... I love using and winning with my PBC at local backyard comps... Hope I can upgrade to a gateway one of these days!

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CandySueQ I'm not complaining about the PBC, it has been great but had to get creative on how to cook Chick, Ribs, & PB at one time for a comp since I only have one. I like the idea of have a little more temp control on a Gateway & you have to admit that they can have some pretty awesome paint jobs.

• CandySueQ
                    CandySueQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love that hang on one side cooking grate on the PBC!

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CandySueQ , That is what i have been using. Have my PB on the grate and then hang the ribs and found some hanging grill baskets that I have been putting my chicken pieces in. BTW I have a bone to pick with Malcom Reed. He makes that lolipop chicken look much easier than it is lol!

Which would you recommend CandySueQ the 30 gal or 55 gal ?

Comment

• CandySueQ
                    CandySueQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have the big one. Don't know about the 30 gal.

Congratulations and your food looks awesome.

Comment

CandySueQ, I have only competed in One Competitiom that was the Get Sweet 'n Sticky in Dickey ND Rib CookOff! A charitable event for Hospice of the Red River of the North! I didn't Win, Show or Place, 18th out of 33 Teams πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž!
                    πŸ‘πŸ‘ I know if My Turn in Box looked like Yours πŸ‘ I would have done better! πŸ‘πŸ‘
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	227734
                    Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 6, 2016, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here