Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first compitition with my KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first compitition with my KBQ

I did my first rib competition last weekend and was the only rookie out of the 20 teams that competed. I used my KBQ and the knowledge and recipes learned from Danny Coogle's Pit Bulls BBQ School.

I received allot of looks and comments about the KBQ from both spectators and competitors alike. One was giving me crap that he thought it was a deep fryer! Many were skeptical, and none had ever seen one before.

I was hoping that my first competition wouldn't end in epic failure and was thinking that if I came in somewhere in the middle, I would be happy. I ended up getting 6th place! I know the KBQ along with my training gave me the edge I needed to do better than I would have otherwise.

Next time, I will add garnish to the turn-in box. It was an option so I chose not to do it this time around (even though other teams did). I'm pretty sure I would have improved my score a little bit more if I had.

As far as competing goes - I'm hooked!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbq-comp.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	221401
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Comment

thats an awesome performance!

Comment

That's pretty cool. Congratulations
        by the way the deep fryer looks good also. Hahaha. Good luck with your future competitions.

Comment

Congratulations!! Welcome to your new addiction!

Comment

Happy looking Man!

Comment

Congrats Ericm that's something I want to do someday

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

I have a competition coming up next weekend... This year the KBQ will be joining the team's Pitmaster Vault, my PBC, and whatever else we drag out. I will try to remember to take pics and report back.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

That is awesome!!! Great job. I always wondered what it would be like to KBQ in a comp. Keep spreading the KBQ word!

Comment

Congrats - not pics of the ribs?

Comment

@Ericm Hey brother, that is so awesome! I'd love to know what you cooked, how cooking times went and most of all - pictures of the end results! Tim

Comment

BTW, I am from Minnesota, Where was this comp?

Comment

Thanks @SoCalTim. It was a ribfest competition. They supplied 6 to 8 racks of St. Louis style ribs to all the competitors. Entry fee was $75. First prize was $1000, second was $400, and they had a "People's Choice" award too. The winner of the People's Choice get to go next year for free. Turn-in was at 6:30. 6 bones had to be in the box for the judges. The rest of the ribs were sold to the spectators for $2 a piece. All proceeds went to charity.

I didn't have any expectations of winning, I just wanted to finish without too many mistakes and I didn't want to come in last. It was a great way to get my feet wet and have some fun. I did both and met some good people too.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the finished product to share. I thought of that once we were sold out (LOL). Besides being the only rookie there, I was also the only one by myself (one man team). My wife took my boys to their football games and couldn't join me until later. This kept me pretty busy during the cook.

I smoked the ribs at 240 during the entire cook. Here was my process...
                              1) I put the rub on and smoked it for 3 hours
                              2) Wrapped them with butter, honey, and brown sugar and put them back on for an hour
                              3) Smoked them unwrapped for 30 minutes
                              $) Sauced them for the last 30 minutes
                              5) Turned off the smoker and let them rest until turn in

Serving the ribs to the public was fun. I got allot of great comments. A few people came back for more, and some came by through word of mouth. I'll definitely compete again.

Comment

• AZRedneck
                                AZRedneck commented
                                Editing a comment
                                GREAT JOB MAN! I never knew you could smoke ribs in a deep fryer for 5 hours!

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here