Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leftovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leftovers

I have never attended a competition cook, but I have slept at a Holiday Inn Express. In any event, after watching all of the BBQ shows for the past few years I have always wondered, what do they do with all of the leftovers? Most of the time it looks like the teams will prepare at least two briskets, two pork butts, a dozen chicken thighs and 2 or more racks of ribs...more than enough to feed a couple dozen people. They usually turn in enough in each box for 6 people, so what happens to all of the leftovers?

I don't cook quite that much for the little unsanctioned backyard competitions I do but typically any of my friends or relatives that have showed up to "help"/watch want to try some so that takes care of part of it... Usually foil up the rest and take it home. Sometimes I drop some off at my parents (dad loves the ribs and mom loves the chicken) if my wife hasn't hid them already.

Some of the comps I have been to also have tasters choice and you have to turn in so much pulled pork or whatever for it... so there is that too.

CandySueQ , what do all those KCBS competitors do with all that meat?
    Last edited by Nate; July 12, 2016, 08:15 PM. Reason: tagging candy sue...

Comment

Sadly I have not been to one either, But I always figured if they were open to the public that they gave out samples? I bet that most comp team s have a propitiatory sauce or rubs that may sale to the public so giving a way free samples would be a good way to get sales. I'm just hoping that the public gets to taste cause I so want to see what comp stuff tastes like you know the one clean bite I want to see what that feels like and tastes like lol I know I'm weird.

Comment

It varies from cook team to cook team! Sometimes I have folks (usually family not seen frequently) who ask for it. My next contest is a long way away and my cousin is going to meet me to pick up leftovers. If it has no where to go, I'll vacuum seal it in small packets and freeze. There's always the Salvation Army here in Pine Bluff. KCBS has a "meals mission" where the contest organizer will solicit Pork leftovers for local food banks. The only food that is sometimes wasted is what the judges get. Some contests don't want judges taking food home.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here