Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know nothing about competitions---can you verify this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    So how do we go about putting this kind of a competition together?

If I burn logs in a WSM can I play?
    Absolutely, I say if you can build a bonfire and make world class BBQ from it, it shouldn't matter if you're doing it in a $2K EOS or a Folgers can. How to organize such a thing? No clue, it likely wouldn't be a popular contest. Might seem a bit too tough for many, but there might just be enough of us crazies out there. I think we'd end being limited to a few of us local bums who'd hook up and have a friendly cookout, and a couple beers lol.

Comment

I agree with the stick burning. It takes some serious talent in my book to be a good wood cooker. Much more than I have learned.

Comment

I think such a competition would be a blast! I'll go along with food thermometers, but no others. I'll be honest, most of the joy I get from BBQ is tending the fire. And let me tell ya, on a COS like I have that takes a bit.

Let's face it, as long as you know your temps and know how to control them, it really doesn't matter what kind of rig you cook on. A Maverick can turn anyone into a competent pit master in a matter of 2 or 3 cooks, just by knowing what temp they are really cooking at and where the meat is at. That doesn't mean they will win awards, but they'll turn out BBQ that is every bit as good as what you can get at any BBQ joint.

Comment

Originally posted by boftx View Post
          (snip)... but they'll turn out BBQ that is every bit as good as what you can get at any BBQ joint.
          and better than most BBQ joints IMHO

Comment

You guys need to stop talking about "Stick Burners". Yes I have a gasser and a couple of pellets but, I agree the real deal is a stick burner and i want one. I saw that Cam has "The Good One Marshall" that can either do sticks or coal. After Aaron posted the pic of his Yoder and DW posted his Burner. I thought about it hard. TOWMBO said no. So not this year, maybe next.

Comment

I am withya Barry... hangin' around here I get thinking crazy stuff... like reverse flow stick burner. I think my wife suspects something is up. That dadgum 20" Yoder looks pretty good too ( I have already pictured it on the patio) heh heh

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
                I am withya Barry... hangin' around here I get thinking crazy stuff... like reverse flow stick burner. I think my wife suspects something is up. That dadgum 20" Yoder looks pretty good too ( I have already pictured it on the patio) heh heh
                Ah, a visionary. That is good. I have had to figure where I will put mine also. And, that is a problem for me as my outdoor Kitchen if on a 2nd story deck.

I am concerned with putting a Stick Burner on the wooden deck so close to the house.

Comment

Hey guys... I been looking at this Party Gator Pit... he doesn't actually say it will use wood, but it kind of looks like...

What do you think? http://www.gatorpit.net/backyard_pits/party_gator.htm

Comment

Nice unit but it seems pricey to me. There are others out there that have as many or more standard features but, cost a lot less. You do have to watch your freight charges on the large Stick Burners. Did you look at the Yoder, Lang, Johnson, and Meadows Creek Burners??

Yes it will burn wood!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                    Nice unit but it seems pricey to me. There are others out there that have as many or more standard features but, cost a lot less. You do have to watch your freight charges on the large Stick Burners. Did you look at the Yoder, Lang, Johnson, and Meadows Creek Burners??

Yes it will burn wood!!

Yes... I like the Yoders and Langs

well... my plans may be postponed for a bit... I was looking at a Lang and my wife walked by and looked... I said honey, I am thinking of getting one of these... she said, and I quote:

"WHAT? WHY? ....Dear God in Heaven..." then she walked away.

hmmmm... I will have to work this a bit, I think. LOL

Comment

My wife told me if I get a EOS that she would leave me.... I'm going to miss her.

J/K

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        My wife told me if I get a EOS that she would leave me.... I'm going to miss her.

J/K
                        Yes!! You are the Man Jon. Like don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out!

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                          Ah, a visionary. That is good. I have had to figure where I will put mine also. And, that is a problem for me as my outdoor Kitchen if on a 2nd story deck.

I am concerned with putting a Stick Burner on the wooden deck so close to the house.
                          Hasty Bake Sir, Hasty Bake. They look good so SWMBO will approve, and they'll cook with charcoal or logs. It's Meathead's favorite grill. http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...charcoal-grill

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141011_200047.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	25504

If you need something better than this then you need to go back to school.

Attached Files

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                              Jon Solberg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Vegas sun and heat have taken its toll on that baby...

• boftx
                              boftx commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep, but it still does what I ask of it: put smoke on the meat and turn out some damn fine BBQ.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here