Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to competition food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to competition food?

I just finished watching Harry Soo's video on the recent 'Memphis In May' event. The team he was on cooked 16 whole pork shoulders, and turned in one.

Made me wonder: what happened to the other shoulders? On a bigger scale, what happens to all the meat cooked at competitions? Is it sold to visitors, or is that banned (due to health code requirements.).

That's a whole lot of leftovers for teams to take home!

Edit: Here's the video. https://youtu.be/vZhrDbPlqXM After watching again, they started with 12 shoulders, but *just* cooked 10 of them.
    Last edited by SmokingPat; July 16, 2022, 09:28 PM.

Good question especially as I understand competition bbq is very strong flavor wise to make those judge bites count.

Comment

Good question, I think the leftovers are donated, but not sure. Rules may very between events.
      A quick google and no answer.

Comment

For a team to cook 16 shoulders to turn one in is very unusual. I believe most only cook one. I wonder if there was also a people's choice event at that one, where the team gives meat to spectators to judge.

There is always leftover meat in the judge's tent, sometimes that is saved for the table captains to take home, otherwise I believe it is tossed or taken by the reps, organizers and volunteers, not donated. This is from more samples in the box than there are judges.

Most of the time the teams take their excess home or toss it.

A few years ago I remember the authorities had a problem with a contest that wanted to donate the excess, if I remember correctly they had the cooks smoke extra meat for that purpose. There is no way a contest can assure food safety like a restaurant or store can. You could never have every cook team site certified by the FDA etc. Maybe there was a resolution on that though, so that the other 15 shoulders could be donated.

Edit: The judges obviously cannot eat all of the meat they are given to sample. Most of the time judges are allowed to take their own leftovers home, but I have been to a few events over the years that do not allow that, in the name of safety. I don't take my leftovers home anymore, I found that I overloaded with smoked meat if I did that, I like to cook myself so always have plenty.
        Last edited by Mark V; July 16, 2022, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Not specific to bbq comps, but I know a lot of food events around here have tried to donate excess to homeless and were denied (though the last comp we had here, mysteriously all the good stuff was left in sealed bags in a large pile a few feet from where most of the homeless congregate). I believe some of the excess goes to exotic animal rescues or zoos

Several years ago I had a very brief experience as a novice KCBS judge. In my first competition I can't remember how many boxes were turned in but by the end of the event I do remember after having a single bite from each box I couldn't have cared less about what happened to the rest.

On a more serious note I do know that due to health regs, soup kitchens, senior homes, and many others that could really benefit from the contribution could not accept the "left overs" no matter how safe we knew they were.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I would have loved to see you get interviewed at the conclusion, "It's all crap, all of it, run before you have to eat some!!!!!"

I’m a competition cook (12 years) and we will usually cook the following at KCBS events: 2-4 Butts, 16-18 Chicken Thighs, 4 racks of ribs, and 1-2 briskets. We take great care in the cooking of the meat and use the highest quality rubs and sauces in our recipes. Once the pieces are selected for turn in, we will "doctor" them up (finishing powders, sweet or spicy glazes etc.) to get that one bite pop for the judges. However, the remaining food is high quality BBQ that we often bring home, offer samples to other competitors, eat ourselves or for friends and family that attend our competitions. Unfortunately, we also throw out food at times, which is a waste.

Even though our competition recipes are over the top versus what we would make in our own backyard, we are constantly experimenting with ingredients and using new cooking techniques. This learning keeps me on top of current trends and makes me a better cook.

Comment

The judges, volunteers, table captains, reps, etc. usually take home the majority of the BBQ that is turned for judging home to the family.

In CA, many competitors sell their extra BBQ (following health code requirements) under "people's choice". Those who don't sell, give it away, let other competitors try it, take it home, or toss it out.

FWIW....

Comment

I've been doing this since 2003! Time really does fly. Since I've downsized my cooker, I cook one pork butt with a severe trim, 2 racks of ribs, 8 to 10 pieces of chicken and half a brisket flat. Sometimes I'll cook the point. Most of the time, leftovers (except chicken) go home to vacuum sealer and freezer. I used to cook more meat, but I can make this work. Just need to see why my Jambo doesn't want to cook over 250!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here