Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Caddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Caddy

I just came across this as being used in KCBS Comps and I have never hear or seen one. Basically, it looks and acts like the cupcake form that Myron Mixon popularized for chicken thighs, except for briskets. I can certainly see that it gives a uniform product for cuts/turn-in since you have to trim your brisket to fit, but since it fits snuggle inside of a half-pan I am not sure how it actually helps with the claims that it gives a more uniform cook that a cheap half pan wouldn't provide. Has anyone else seen or used one? The link is to one is just an example... https://bbqrubs.pitbullbbq.org/

Interesting. I am not interested, but it is interesting to think about how, or if, this might help with what they claim. I don't recall a brisket's natural shape, and its subsequent slices, or barked-up edges, being a disqualifier in the competition circuit. Maybe CandySueQ could share her feelings.

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I am not really interested either. I do compete, very infrequently, so I was just wondering since I haven't ever heard of it until today. However, I didn't want to write it off since everyone and their dog is using Myron's cupcake strategy..

"..The PATENT PENDING Brisket Caddy ."

(rolls eyes)

it's perforated steel with two 90° bends.

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory I don't disagree, but since everyone that is competing is doing something for an edge.. I don't see the "why", but I am only a casual competitor who is mostly there for a guy's weekend.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah my eye rolling was more for the 'patent pending' thing.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      People have patented less. Lemme guess, it is a utility patent.

Wow. Erm, yeah. That is a lot of money for a really basic device.

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq I don't disagree, but alot of the things I see for BBQ are pretty basic, overpriced and could be made from parts at HD/Lowes for a lot less... Mostly, I am interested in that it is the next Myron Mixon cupcake mold for chicken. More a curiosity than something I would buy since I could buy some expanded steel and make it, but really I was interested in their competition cuts...

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      So I get that comment about a lot of BBQ tools being basic. However, I guess this just looks….really simple. I have been banned from doing things around the house but even I feel like I’d could wangle that together from HD for $10 bucks.

Oh boy, more stuff to buy. If I had more money than brains, I would get one too.

Comment

Friend, Chiles Critlin, team Wolf’s Revenge, came out with similar trays for chicken and ribs. I’ve tried them and in my opinion it’s a convenience tool, not essential like a good brisket knife. Cupcake (or small loaf pan) chicken thighs have run their course in my area. These days the thing here is to start chicken on a rack, then do the butter thing. Cover pan at the last to soften skin, then dip in sauce to finish.

Biggest negative on the brisket pan is alteration of grain of the meat making cutting awkward. But I prefer a "natural" cut brisket.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ADFBEE63-D630-4CE9-A9E7-9613EEFD7058.jpeg
Views:	711
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1180658

Comment

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        CandySueQ Thank you. Around these parts there are only 5-6 actual events each year, so it is hard to stay informed on the latest trends.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here