Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 contests in a row!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 contests in a row!

I passed the halfway mark this Saturday in Bryant, Arkansas! There may be something to the adage "cook often to cook better!" No calls in Alma, AR on 9/12, one call in Hot Springs, AR on 9/20, changed some things up for Bryant -- 6th in chicken and pork, 7th in brisket and 1st in ribs for Reserve Grand Champion! First time I've been in the top 200 in KCBS team of the year standings. 12 contests cooked total.

This weekend, the contest is very close to home -- the Lumberjack Festival in Sheridan, AR!

CONGRATULATIONS, and good luck! We're pulling for you!

Comment

Congratulations, How many events and how many weeks are involved in the circuit you compete in? Thanks, Dan

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        This was KCBS contest number 12 for this year. I've also cooked 2 IBCA (Texas rules) and will cook one more on 10/10 in Delight, AR and maybe one in Marksville, LA around Thanksgiving. One Steak Cookoff Assoc. event this year. I'll end up with about 20 or so for the year. That doesn't make me one of the "heavy-hitters" in BBQ! Some folks do 35+ in a year. If I wanted to travel, there's a KCBS contest almost every weekend, most of the year!

CandySueQ what do you cook on in competition?

Comment

Congrats, i'm gonna have to come down there and get some lessons!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	vivapit.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	112996 This is a very old Jambo Pit (used to be a Geer Pit). The gray bundle on the back of the fire box is the pellet hopper. The Viva! is new.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	geer2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	113000 Here's the business part of the pellet-fire. The fire pot assembly pulls out. Generally, I start a charcoal/wood fire with the fan blowing air in at low speed. When I'm ready, put on the firepot, get the pellets dropping and switch to pellet heat.

Comment

Proper!

Comment

There's no electronic temperature controls on this pellet-fired pit! The top round pipe is the auger tube which feeds pellets to the fire from the hopper. Speed control is high-medium-low. The fan blows in from the bottom part and blows up from the bottom of the fire pot. Speed control on this is a ceiling fan rheostat --high-medium-low and off. Even using pellets, there's fire management involved. Peak temp is 350 degrees.

When burning charcoal/wood, I start with a nice pile of briquettes (I like Kingsford Competition, but any will do) and a couple of nice sticks of pecan wood. The firepot assembly is out and the fan is on low (which is still higher than I'd like). I burn about 1 stick of pecan and 1 of cherry every hour for 225 temperature. I like starting my cook off this way, mainly because I get a much better smoke ring on brisket. Straight pellets there's not much smoke ring generally. Plus it's really easy to start the pellet fire with burning coals instead of fire starters. Just put the fire pot in place, get the pellets dropping and add a couple of hot coals. I'll try to take some photos this weekend.

Comment

That's awesome CandySueQ! Congrats

Comment

Congrats. I really like your pit!

Comment

That is awesome. So happy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                        Congrats. I really like your pit!
                        It's got another door to swap out for cooking Texas traditional method. I'm pretty fond of it myself.

Comment

Miss CandySueQ first congrats did my first KCBS two weeks ago in sac 4 in chicken 27 ribs 43 pork butt 44 brisket need to improve been thinking of going to one of the BBQ schools any recommendations on one or two was thinking maybe Malcolm's killer hogs any suggestions

Comment

• CandySueQ
                            CandySueQ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Malcom's class is GREAT! Killer Hogs won GC in Hattiesburg on Saturday.

• Papa Bob
                            Papa Bob commented
                            Editing a comment
                            thanks for the reply now just got to pull the trigger.

Congrats CandySueQ. Jealous of your opportunity to do this kinda stuff. Sounds like soooooo much fun and I can't imaging the friendships you're making along the way. Best of luck on future competitions!

Comment

• CandySueQ
                            CandySueQ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Don't be jealous! I feel really blessed that I have the money, time and energy to spend this way. But I tell you, I had a rotten cook this past Saturday and I was too durn tired to care! 5 in a row is too many in a row.

I go from trip to trip it seems. Next is the Jack Daniel's Invitational BBQ in Lynchburg. I'll be passing out pellets, pecan smoked salsa and black walnut steak bites (along with recipe cards). Come see me if you're in the neighborhood on October 24th.

• Dr ROK
                            Dr ROK commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Would love to come see that event (or any major event for that matter), but I live clear out in the sticks of western NE. Not a lot of major events in this neck of the woods. Both recipes sound great.

BTW-supposed to get the pellets from the GrillGrates contest tomorrow. Thanks again for participating as a sponsor in this event. Sooooooo excited to get something smoking!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here