Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lighting Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jfmorris Check out the Kamado Book of knowledge. I believe it was developed by a member here (Man Cave Meals I think). It's a great read on the How To's of Kamado cooking.

Comment

Planning to fire this thing up about 6:30AM when I wake, and see if I can power through an 8# pork butt I pulled out of the freezer yesterday. Gonna run Kamado mode, shoot for around 275 cooking temp to power the butt through during the morning and afternoon, and add a couple of racks of ribs around noon. Hoping I pull it off!

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I feel like I'm taking the journey with you. Enjoy!

BGE owner but looks pretty similar. I suppose you could use a chimney but I think arguments against would be

I) it’s easy enough to light charcoal in the egg and get enough heat in the same 15 min it would take to get the chimney ashed over so it’s unnecessary and
      ii) i feel like you conserve more charcoal lighting in the egg than using a chimney. I suppose the counter to that is that you may have cool / unlit areas early on if you start in the Kamado while in a chimney all the coals are lit when you start.

I should know the answer to this but I also wonder how the chimney volume compares to the volume of the fire basket.

I light with something called a looft lighter which is basically an industrial strength hair dryer. Would echo others’ comments where if you are doing low and slow, light one spot. If you want to do something high heat, light three spots.
      Last edited by Smoldering Flea; January 21, 2021, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        All good points to consider. I’ll see how lighting works in the morning, in the kamado.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here