Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New SNS Kamado Owner Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SNS Kamado Owner Tips

I posted some of these in a response to another thread but thought this might be a good thread starter.

The kamado will allow you to control temperatures better but there's a learning curve that I'm still on. Things I've learned so far:

1. It takes longer to come up to temperatures. Start with the top open and bottom vent open until the coals are fairly well lit. You can accelerate this with step 2.
    2. You might want to light coals on a separate grill then dump in lit coals onto unlit coals. This allows you to use a BBQ Dragon fan and Chimney of Insanity, for example, to accelerate the coals. Using them on the kamado directly could damage the handle with the high heat off the chimney.
    3. You have to start adjusting vents 100-200 degrees below the target temperature.
    4. Having a pit thermometer is essential, you can't use lid temperatures (they are at least 50 degrees higher compared to the cooking surface). I use a Maverick XR50 or a Thermoworks Smoke.
    5. To achieve really high temps, such as for pizza, briquettes won't do the job.
    6. The Kick Ash Basket and Ash Can really make it easier to save coals and clean up. I recommend buying them to get shipped with the Kamado.
    7. You need at least 2 fairly strong people to lift the kamado into the cradle.
    8. The instruction manual could use some minor improvements. I've made suggestions to SNS Grills about some changes. They may have already incorporated them into future revisions.
    9. Doing a burn-in for at least 1/2 hour using traditional kamado mode (coals on the bottom) at 350 is essential and should not be skipped. Some others have advocated several trial cooks, keeping a log such as the one provided here on AR. I think keeping a log is very helpful to learn this cooker.

Thanks for posting this - very timely information for me!

Comment

I recently purchased an SNSK used. I was by myself, so the previous owner and I decided to separate the top from the bottom, in order to load and unload from the bed of my pickup.
      I mated the top and bottom to have a complete seal before I snugged the chrome band connecting the two with the hinge.
      Evidently I did not tighten this clamp tight enough and now the rear of the unit wants to lift n separate. I can go thru the process again, I am timid about over tightening this band. Any help on the torx value or the distance measured btw the clamp and the bolt that tightens same. Thanks in advance. (Just found this channel and I fully intend to read every post.)

Comment

I can’t help, but if you reach out to the manufacturer they might be able to provide you with some guidance.

Comment

jfmorris I have seen you post often which frequently included cooks on your SNS Kamado . I am curious. Are you cooking on it more frequently than you imagined?

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah - the SNS Kamado has seen a lot of use as my primary charcoal grill. That and the flat top grill are what I've used most the past couple of years, while the Genesis, Performer and offset gathered dust. This spring and summer I've moved more "grilling" type cooks over to the Weber Performer, just to give it a spin, but all my low and slow and pizza cooks have been on the SNS Kamado.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep! jfmorris I have an 18” Weber that I do some grilling with the Vortex and SLN, but my large and MiniMax Big Green Eggs get the lion’s share of the cooks.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here