Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling with MCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling with MCS

I’ve got a case. I’m in the wrong place, I know you’re all a bunch of enablers. I’m justifying consideration of an SNS Kamado because I moved home to MN from AZ earlier this year and I didn’t have to think about cold weather cooking before. I don’t think my 26 kettle will hold up great in cold temps, and my PBC would probably do OK but the PBC isn’t my go-to.

Is there anything that I can do or do better with a kamado that I can’t do with my current setup, or am I just window shopping out of boredom? It would look really nice sitting on the deck...

Nah, it’s helpless. Get the SnS Kamado. It will serve you greatly in the winter, much mo better in the cold. Plus, to resist MCS is futile. Just go with it, you’ll feel better in the morning & next week.
    Last edited by FireMan; September 26, 2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      I know. I feel like when I see these posts I think to myself "why are they asking everybody? If they’re at the point where they are fighting it off and posting on the PMC they are already done for."

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, yer cooked! Heh, heh! 🕶

I cook on a BGE, and it had no problem cooking through a 17 degree night for 12 hours on one load of charcoal as I slept. Think about cooking through the night and sleeping.

Comment

You might consider getting a fan and controller for your 26 instead. Maybe it gets too cold even with that there I don't know.

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a fireboard and pit viper I’ve just noticed on the 30 degree nights already that it’s fighting ambient temps harder and burning through more coal

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, more fuel would certainly be necessary but that's to be expected.

• SmokingPat
        SmokingPat commented
        Editing a comment
        You might also get a welding blanket to cover your kettle (not the vents, of course.) It's not a solution to MCS, but it's cheap, and an interesting experiment.
        Can't offer first-hand experience, since I'm in coastal California. News reports say snow last fell here 60 years ago. 😎

You’re doomed. Just get it so you can get comfortable with it before the cold hits which will be SOON.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        May I add to SOON , LONG, HARD, FRIGID, SNOW.

The new WSCG is supposed might be out before winter and no risk of it cracking Well, I guess that’s before winter down here, you do start sooner, lol.

Comment

Buy it! You will have zero regrets, trust me.

Comment

Did you place the order yet?

Comment

Insulated cabinet smokers are impervious to long cold nights. There are many good cabinet smokers to choose from.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              2nd on that! So happy with mine.

Do it! Do it!

Comment

Like anyone here is going to tell you not to get another cooker. Bwahahahaha
              Last edited by surfdog; September 28, 2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

jhapka you trying to hide from us? You just went silent. We know you went ahead and bought it, right??? MCS is irresistible...

Comment

• jhapka
                  jhapka commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I told myself if I still want it after the weekend I would order it... I’m not predicting a change in my intent

• jhapka
                  jhapka commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Although I am perusing some insulated cabinets

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jhapka, those insulated cabinet smokers are nice. Being in TN I don't really need one, but...

All things considered, I’ve placed the order. The kamado snobs across the internet have been heard. I like the SnS because I think the "turboslow" thing makes sense. It can be a gimmick and simultaneously a valid benefit. I also started this whole outdoor cooking thing on an SnS in a kettle, so it’s familiar and allows for the use of briquettes. It’s more expensive than some other kamados because it includes the suite of SnS accessories, which stand alone on quality and utility. I can use that roasting rack in my kettle and indoor oven.

Secondary definition of gimmick
                "Gimmick n: An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget."

Gimmicks sound like good things

Comment

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats!

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, did you order a custom table to make her look really pretty? What about the second fireboard and fan for when you want to run the SnS and 26'er at the same time?

• jhapka
                  jhapka commented
                  Editing a comment
                  glitchy all good things in time

I just got my SNS kamado set up. I moved from FL to MN and my kettle cannot keep temps when it's cold without a lot of intervention, adding coals and moving them around.

The kamado will allow you to control temperatures better but there's a learning curve that I'm still on. Things I've learned so far:
                1. It takes longer to come up to temperatures
                2. You might want to light coals on a separate grill then dump in lit coals onto unlit coals.
                3. You have to start adjusting vents 100-200 degrees below the target temperature
                4. Having a pit thermometer is essential, you can't use lid temperatures (they are at least 50 degrees higher compared to the cooking surface).
                5. To achieve really high temps, such as for pizza, briquettes won't do the job
                6. The Kick Ash Basket and Ash Can really make it easier to save coals and clean up. I recommend you buy them and have them shipped with the Kamado.
                7. You need at least 2 fairly strong people to lift the kamado into the cradle.

Good luck!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Its funny. I can't seem to see the pictures of the new cooker.

• KabBBQ
                  KabBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My new cooker? I just posted one in the SUWYC thread.

HawkerXP Here you go.
                Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was going to suggest a little snow in the background but you beat me to it.

• willxfmr
                  willxfmr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And what a beauty she is!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here