Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primo XL and Table Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primo XL and Table Build

A more serious thread (until it isn't) for future searchers:

New Primo XL came yesterday and today im starting in on the table build. Build will be Cedar. Im basing my rough idea off of this thread:

Even though my overall design will be different from that table, it's a useful guide for some measurements, etc.

I'll update the thread with pictures as I take breaks. Here's where I am now:

Picture 1 is obviously the grill

Picture 2 is stock

I got the legs cut and rough surfaced and then started in on the shelf level that will bear the weight of the grill.

Picture 3 is mortiseses and tenonseses being cut in for the level that will bear the weight of the grill. With this heavy beast I dont want to rely on just a screw to hold the weight....this is the slow step....more later.
    Attached Files

Lookin' forward to the build.

Comment

Dude, old school build doing those mortise and tenon joints.
      Will stand the test of time

Comment

I have a Primo Junior and I would love to have an XL to go with it!

Comment

here's where it's going to sit tonight. it's not all "old school" - I'll use pocket joints in less structurally critical areas (like the top stretchers). I decided that Im going to pin the mortise/tenon joints with some dowels for added strength and so the joints dont separate (can see them behind the scraps holding the clamps).

it's rock solid as she sits.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by xaugievike; December 6, 2020, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Argoboy
            Argoboy commented
            Editing a comment
            That is the same plans that I used to make my stand, setting the Primo XL into the stand was not easy as there is not much to hold on to.

one last update
          Attached Files

Comment

Today’s progress. Took the top in a slightly different direction than intended. Tomorrow probably a lot of time with some sand paper and maybe cut the hole. Pretty happy with how it's coming though. Not bad for a guy with more enthusiasm than talent.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by xaugievike; December 7, 2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Damn. How did I miss this thread.
              You got some nice skills brother.

If I followed in my father’s footsteps this is the kind of things I would be making. He did some amazing things back in the 60-70s. Don’t want to brag. But he was one of the best cabinet makers around. And taught me a lot. But I got into cars. So there it ended.

Cain’t wait to see how this turns out.

Comment

Looks great! My only caution would be the lower shelf if used for grates, dividers, and deflectors will get dirty. My commercial cart has a wire rack. Sometimes I think of building in my Primo and if I ever do I will steal the wire rack design feature.

Comment

Saaa..weeet !!! Good craftsmanship!!!!

Comment

Wow. That was quick. I have a wood shop too. That wood have taken me quite a bit longer. You are a Pitmaster AND and and Woodmaster! 👏👏👏👏

Comment

I have a Primo, but not a table like that--Wowza!

Comment

not a lot of visible progress today. Im having second thoughts on hole placement.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Off set

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Offset. My Primo table is centered and I've had grates and other things fall off the edge since there isn't much room on either side.

• Troutman
                          Troutman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Off set, you need a landing for your tools and tray.

Do you need anything extra around the smoker to prevent the wood from warping due to heat?

Comment

• xaugievike
                          xaugievike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Im not worried about Cedar moving a ton necessarily. Built several pieces of outdoor stuff that has stayed very true. it's so dang dry as it is that it's already moved a bunch.

I am just a bit concerned about the the edges of the hole and some of the shorter pieces though. If it gets ugly I may remove the top and have a piece of granite made....but I'll roll with this for a while.
                          Last edited by xaugievike; December 8, 2020, 09:11 PM.

• STEbbq
                          STEbbq commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It looks amazing. I wish I had your talents.

as this build evolves......does anyone have a recommendation for a custom cover manufacturer?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here