Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third cook on Primo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third cook on Primo

Click image for larger version

Name:	C931DF26-0B15-49F0-94EA-03F3AE6275DC.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	862566Click image for larger version

Name:	475243F1-29A7-4D28-9126-8E016C9AED4C.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	862565Click image for larger version

Name:	109EE01E-A2B7-4F93-BC59-F0ADAC9FDC31.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	862564Click image for larger version

Name:	0E4FBFD5-815B-4E57-80F4-15685F2D3358.jpeg
Views:	419
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	862563

Today I cooked a small beef brisket it weighed 6.6# and I did not expect it to take very long. I dry brined it yesterday, today I injected it with beef broth added BBBR and put it on the Primo XL around 8:00 am. I used a pan underneath to hold water and catch the drippings with the heat deflector in place. Cooking temp was 225-250F with hickory wood, all went well until 11:45 I hit a stall at 160F and the stall lasted four hours, after that I turned temp up to 350F and cooked it though it came off at 6:20 pm. I am experiencing problems with this cooker that I never had with my old Akron egg?
    The pork shoulder roast I did on Mon had two stalls, I did a whole chicken yesterday without any issues but that was at 350F. Here are my pictures. I guess there is a learning curve with every new smoker/grill. I also did a batch of bourbon baked beans today as well they were good.

Good looking eats.
    Sounds like my BKK, not great at low n slow, cooks better 280 plus.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I had no trouble holding 225F today but I have some unexpected things happened to me so far with the Primo Xl.

So it took 8 hours for a 6.6lb piece of flat to cook. At 225-250 that is not unreasonable to expect for a flat. Flats will always take almost as long as a whole packer brisket .of 12lbs or so. I always cook briskets at 275, it helps speed through the stall and in the overall cooking time.

Pork butt can always be cooked at a higher temp and 275 is about perfect for it. I have never had a stall with it even at lower temp do to its fat content. Maybe I just never noticed it.

Well you have only had 3 cooks on your NEW Primo, it will probably take you many more till you and it are best buds.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 14, 2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I never had a stall last so long before?

Are you thinking the stalls are worse on the primo? I am with mountainsmoker , Your cook times sound reasonable to me.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      With two low and slow cooks things have happened that I never had happen before. I keep records and a stall has never been that long or two stalls? More data is required.

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha....I think u are fine but let me know if you have any other questions.

Looks like you are giving the XL a good workout. I did a 14.3 lb "chunk o chest" on Saturday evening into Sunday morning on my XL. Took approx 13 hours at 250°.
    Your times as stated above look decent to me nothing out of the ordinary.
    What problems are you experiencing (unexpected things) with your XL?
    Me personally I always use the drip pan like you but I do not use the water in the pan. However I do use small ceramic squares to elevate the drip pan off the D-Plates to avoid that burned grease/fat acrid smell you get in the disposable drip pan.
    The only weird thing about my Primo XL that I don't experience with my BGE's is that for some unknown reason my Flamebosd 200 spits the bit rather regularly on the Primo.

Comment

Every cut of meat is different, I'd be more inclined to think the meat was the variable rather than the cooker. I've had much success on my Primo XL, very tender ribs and chicken. I've yet to do brisket on it because I just love cooking them on my PBC. I do like tiewunon 's idea of the water pan. I use to put a 1/4" layer of water to avoid the acrid smoke, but will try the ceramic squares.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point meat is the variable. More cooks will help for sure.

au4stree you can pick them up online at the ceramic grill store which has multiple size and heights or your local Hobby Lobby may have them, or a local pottery/craft store . On the Primo I use 6 of them (always afraid the disposable drip pan will buckle) but could get the job done with 4. On the LBGE I use 4.

Comment

That's a great lookin' cook.

Comment

I just did a 7lb flat over the weekend. Put it on at 5:00am at 225 and lowered to 200 several hours later because the temp went from 38 degrees internal to 90 degrees in about 1.5 hours. Anyway, I finished up at 230 degrees by 3pm and put in a cooler for 3 hours. I had wrapped it in foil at around noon. Turned out tender and juicy for a 6:30pm carving. Forgot to mention I have the Primo 400XL. Took 8 hours with the stall in the mid 150’s. Just allow plenty of time and if it finishes early you’ve got more time to let it rest.

Comment

I don't see your cooking time as unreasonable, and every cooker DEFINITELY has a learning curve. My third cook on my new SNS Kamado was a 4 pound pastrami (brisket), and that thing took as long as cooking a 16 pound full packer! I also am still working to understand the vent settings and temperature control on the new cooker, without resorting to buying an adapter for my fan controller...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here