Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completed DIY rain cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completed DIY rain cap

i finished my Primo raincap. I used a 6 inch to 4 inch vent pipe reducer, a 4 inch vent pipe cap, and a 6.5 inch ring clamp (all in the plumbing isle). I had to use aviation snips to cut the bottom ring off the reducer (its held in by 2 rivets) and I had to snip the vent cap to make it fit inside the 4 inch reducer (both are designed to fit over vent pipes). The cap is held on the reducer by 2 screws. I clamp the cut ring to the Primo cap, and the reducer is held on by compression.

Leas than $20 for everything. And it works. South Florida tested. I think it would stay on in a category 1 hurricane. So no need to worry about the usual summer rain, no matter how much is dumped.

The only drawback is adjusting the top vent airflow requires removal of the rain cap. But you really don’t have to do much (or any) adjustment once it’s runninf how you want so I call that an acceptable compromise. Click image for larger version

Name:	D43E9CFD-2638-44A8-93A0-413FA8E8E65B.jpeg
Views:	838
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	506853

Nice mod! The chimney cap has come in handy more than once. And at $20, how can you beat it?

Comment

Necessity the mother of invention. Good job!

Comment

Perfect

Comment

I used to use a roof vent cap many years ago on my BGE. A couple years ago tho I learned that even during a heavy rain that very little rain actually gets into a kamado with the normal daisywheel vent in place.

A couple years ago I went out to use/light my KJ Jr. after a line of thunderstorms had moved thru. The top vent was on and the little holes were fully opened. By chance, I had left a clean drip pan on top of the cooking grate. When I opened the dome there was some water in the drip pan - a whopping tablespoon or so. And that was after a storm that my rain gauge told me dropped 2" of rain in a little over two hours. After that I decided that putting a roof vent over the daisywheel to keep out rain really wasn't necessary.

However, when I got y Smobot a year or so ago I did get a roof vent to use over it since the damper of the Smobot is flat and has much larger holes. The only mod to the vent I had to make was to use some tin snips to cut out a gap so it could be placed over the damper/servo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	KJ Jr with rain cap and Smobot.png
Views:	664
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	506930

It's not visible in this picture but I use one of these type of hooks placed on the outside bottom of the roof vent cap and the magnet is strong enough to "attach" to the cast iron daisywheel and hold it in place:

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 1.59.46 PM.png
Views:	650
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	506931
          I've always got a few of those attached to various grills around me to hang stuff from so it's easy just to grab one on the rare occasion when I use that vent cover. It takes all of a second for me to pull off the magnet if I want to remove the roof vent.

Instead of a ring clamp you might just try a strong magnet. You cap is way taller than mine so it might need a couple magnets in the case of high winds.

Also, if you have (or have access to) a dead hard drive from a pc you can rip those open and take out the big, super strong magnet used in those . Just one of those will hold your roof vent on in a hurricane!

Comment

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            How well does smobot work? I have cyberq and it is darn impressive, but last night I had some power blips. It didn’t seem to have any effect on the smoker, never lost Wi-Fi or cloud recording. Next DIY will be automatic battery backup.

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Smobot works great. Generally will keep within a 5°F+/- swing. It is a very low power drain device and it will run all day from a small "lipstick" sized USB battery pack - no worries about neighborhood power glitches.

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            Darn. Already have what I have. I can still make a battery backup, it pulls 12v. I’m thinking of a 15 amp hour gelcell on an automatic float charger. Power on and the charger powers the device. Power off and the battery takes over.

I’m not sure how much water might get in, but now I don’t have to find out. I use the cap for overnight/away cooks when I don’t know if it might rain or how much. I have also used it when I am awake and home because south Florida.

Comment

@SmokyGator - here's a Smobot record of one I did. No food probe for this one. I let the temp overshoot before I added the device into the mix. The two drops are from opening the cooker for inspection.

Name:	Screenshot 2018-05-05 14.00.45.png
Views:	623
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	507164

Comment

• SmokeyGator
              SmokeyGator commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s about perfect.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it's that good. And it can run on a battery pack.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here