Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oval XL Question - Outdoor Elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oval XL Question - Outdoor Elements

Besides closing the vent, do you guys put anything over the top vent to keep moisture or rain from getting in? Just got my oval on Friday and its home is on my uncovered patio.

I have a cover, that almost never goes on my Oval XL. It seems to trap a lot of moisture.

My daisy wheel is pretty well season, so once it cools down. It basically seals shut. In a couple of good cooks yours will be too.

If you are worried about moisture getting in a lot of people love the Smokeware SS caps. It will fit a Primo Oval, just make sure when you order you tell them that, it has a different gasket. I haven't gotten one because I don't worry that much about water getting and I know my daisy wheel settings, I don't want to relearn them on a new style cap.

Comment

You can get a rain cap for it.
      Authorized A&L Furniture Online Dealer. Shop for cedar outdoor swing beds in a variety of styles at BBQGuys.com, where you'll enjoy Price Matching, Free Delivery, and toll-free Expert Advice 7 days a week from The Ultimate Outdoor Living Store!

Comment

donsut Also, Congrats on the new Primo!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, I found a little rain cover that makes a roof above the daisy wheel. That should keep enough of the direct rain off that it won't matter much. I'll see how this works out. Sephon I suspect once you're correct, once I've cooked enough my wheel and assembly will be nice and grease coated and it won't even be an issue. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I use my weber chimney upside down with a plate on top of it cheap and easy

Comment

My solution I erected a poly tunnel for my smokers! Click image for larger version

Name:	20180316_213049.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	469396

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice work!

I keep my top vent ‘as is’, it’s all greased up. It’s worth mentioning that I place a small log between the top and bottom halves to avoid having the gasket freeze, effectively ‘glueing’ the grill shut. Only during winter, bug still.

I don’t use a cover because they trap too much moisture.

Comment

• Sephon
              Sephon commented
              Editing a comment
              Henrik, Great idea keeping the top and bottom separated. I've been struggling with the "gasket freeze" this winter. How do you keep it from draining into the rest of the grill with the log keeping it open?

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only only one experiencing the moisture trap from a cover.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Sephon I don't cover my big stickburner either, same reason. I'd pull it off and it would be all wet. Now my cookers stay out in the snow & rain hat-less, they dry off much faster when the sun comes out that way.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, it would have to rain pretty hard for that rain to get in. I have a 2 inch gap right in the front, where the handles are. It then diminishes closer to the back obviously. I guess the short answer is: rain doesn't come in through the gap.Sure, the gasket gets wet, but that is about it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here