Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGE XL: Optimum 2 turkey setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGE XL: Optimum 2 turkey setup?

I'd like to smoke 2 12-14lb turkeys on my BGE XL. I have the 5 piece eggspander stacker, so I was thinking of spatchcocking them, one on each level with a dripping pan underneath them. Trouble is, the top one will drip on the bottom.

Better to leave them whole side by side, or stack them spatchcock and rotate them halfway through?

Other than the time it will take to cook them I don’t think It will make much difference since you are smoking them. They will finish closer to the same time stacked if you change positions about midway through the cook.

Comment

I would put them side by side. Also, I would cut them completely into two pieces, it will make it easier to arrange them on the cooking grate. Those dirty birds cn be funky to handle on the grate sometimes. It will allow for much more even cooking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        I would put them side by side. Also, I would cut them completely into two pieces, it will make it easier to arrange them on the cooking grate. Those dirty birds cn be funky to handle on the grate sometimes. It will allow for much more even cooking as well.
        Halving is an interesting idea. I wonder if I could get 2 spatchcock turkeys side by side if I halved them and could arrange the four sides...

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, gives you more flexibility. When Spatchcocking, you are pretty much there anyway. It just makes things easier.

Sounds like a good problem to have.
        How about Beer Can Turkey.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here