Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Refurbished a Gift Egg - Advice wanted on first cook . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Refurbished a Gift Egg - Advice wanted on first cook . . .

My sister and brother-in-law are downsizing from 4 bedroom home with large patio to a condo. They've had a seldom used BGE for over 20 years that has now been gifted to me, (in return to installing shelving in their condo's closets). The BGE was kind of long in the tooth, so I took it all apart, cleaned it up, painted the metal parts, and added new gasket, bottom vent cover, grate, and plate setter.

I'm planning to try it out on a chicken tomorrow, but have never touched one of these things. I've read through many posts here including detailed posts by CeramicChef who is apparently no longer a member. I'd appreciate any additional guidance on how/what to do for the first cook . . chicken or something else.

Below are before during and after pictures of the gift egg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	egg.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	772057

Name:	Disassembled.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	772058

Name:	closed.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	772059

Name:	open.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	772060

That's a great job you did. Why not just go with the chicken? It may convince you that the Thanksgiving turkey is next. You are going to love long cooks on it. Put a brisket or a butt on it at night and then actually get some sleep. Watch out, though. Once the bakers see that you are going to get much better advice than mine.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Fantastic job done that looks brand new.

Comment

Great job on the refirb!

Comment

Great restoration! Enjoy the "new to you" cooker! I am sure you will love it.

Comment

The guide that comes with the BGE lists some basic recipes. Our first cook was 1” thick ribeyes.

Leave the platesetter out. Get the Egg up to about 600. Season two 1” thick ribeyes with salt and pepper. grill them 2 minutes each side, top down, then shut both top and bottom vents and let them dwell for two minutes. So, 2-2-2. Open the top SLOWLY to prevent flashback. Take out those bad boys and eat them.

Also, chicken thighs. Marinate the thighs for anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours in 50/50 bbq sauce/bottled Italian dressing. The brands don’t matter. Get the Egg up to about 400, again leave the platesetter out. Grill the thighs, top down, turning frequently, until they are nice and golden brown.

Ribs. Platesetter in, legs up, cover it with foil. Put a drip pan on top of it. Steady the Egg around 250. Drop a couple chunks (not chips) of hardwood on the coals, let them smolder until the smoke is almost gone. Prep the ribs (lots of info on the web for this). Cook meat side up top closed, until the meat is pulling back from the bones, usually about 5 hours but could be more or less. Brush with sauce and cook another 15 minutes or so.

Once you learn the Egg, it will do whatever you want. I’m pretty simple with mine, but there are folks who go all out gourmet.

Edit: Nice job on the resto, looks like new!
              Last edited by Mosca; November 23, 2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanx, looks like I'm going to have to play and learn.

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s not too hard. I think all new users have problems with the temperatures yo-yoing. It’s easier to raise the temp than it is to lower it! Once you figure that out, it’s really straightforward: it’s a fire in a ceramic shell, that’s all. Ceramic Chef’s advice is pretty good.

Spatchcock a chicken.

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                SavageSmoke and Pequod. What temperature do you use for spatchcocked chicken? With or without plate setter and/or drip pan?

• Pequod
                Pequod commented
                Editing a comment
                johnec00 - I like 375-400 for spatched chicken, indirect.

• SavageSmoke
                SavageSmoke commented
                Editing a comment
                I use the plate setter at 375°

Nice job on the BGE and congratulations. I really like mine. My advice is just try all sorts of things to learn the varying temperature settings. A Guru would be a nice addition for you someday for low and slow cooks.BTW pizza is wonderful on the BGE.

Comment

My advice would be give it a go at 225 with the most forgiving piece of meat- a Boston Butt. A 9 or 10 pounder will take 12-14 hours. I usually cook them overnight to serve at noon. The set it and forget it nature of the Egg allows you to sleep through the night. Fill the bottom layer with large followed by medium and then small lump charcoal up to the fire ring. Start one small fire in the center and stabilize at 225. Put a fist size chunk of wood on the fire, put in the plate setter, drip pan and grill. Put the meat on and sleep like a baby.

Comment

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, that's on the list of things to do soon-ish.

A very nice job of cleaning up your new BGE, If it has been used regularly I would just go ahead and use it as you wish. If it has not been used frequently and do to the rules of ceramics I would just do a slow warm up so that it does not crack. Take it up slowly from low to 650 hold and back down. This may be overkill on one that is 20 years old but I'm an old fart also.

Comment

Get a 30 pack and invite some friends over,,,,Fire it up and just stare at it !!!!!!!
                  You did a great job,,,,,,,looks awesome

Comment

• johnec00
                    johnec00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1, now why didn't I think of that?

Looks great!

Did you paint the inside?

Comment

• johnec00
                    johnec00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, it was black from use I suppose. All I painted was the metal parts (the vent cap using 2000ºF paint) . . . Also sanded, stained and clear varnish on wood.

This group has an excellent Kamado guide.

Comment

Couldn't wait to give the gift egg a test drive. Took a 1.5" Picanha steak out of the freezer, thawed and sprinkled with liberal flake salt. Cooked indirect with small hickory chunk at 250ishº to 130º IT. Took it off and raised the temperature to 500+º. Seared the steak 2 minutes on each side and 2 minutes on the fat edge. Turned out quite good. Should have left the fat edge to sear a little longer.

Name:	SRF Picanha.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	772303

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here