Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS: Big Green Egg XL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS: Big Green Egg XL?

I just found out that an Egg Fest is coming to my area here in south Louisiana and have a chance to pick up a demo model of a Large or XL BGE at a discounted price! Is the XL too big for a family of four? I think I'll replace my Weber kettle (22" with SNS) with a ceramic, but am grappling with whether or not it's worth the money over my kettle. I have a nice offset from Shirley Fabrication as well, so does this really fill a need? Talk me out of it before I spend...money...again!!! LOL

I have a large egg, 22", and a 26" Weber optioned out. I recommend you keep the Weber by all means and my pick on the
    egg would be based on the discounted price. I can cook two briskets or 10 pounds of pork ribs on the large with a floater grill. I was going for a XL in my outdoor kitchen originally, but space and placement limited me to a large. I have not looked back. The advantage of the egg over the offset is set and forget cooking with the egg. Tending a fire is a pleasure too.

Comment

I have a large and cooking for four isn’t a challenge. With a second level grill on the BGE I have cooked 40# of Boston Butt, so unless you want to cook for really large crowds I would follow johnsteen advice and save the difference for some BGE accessories or the Woo or Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store. I have both and love them- especially the PSWoo.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Inclined to agree. Have had the large since 2002, and have not had any issues with capacity, with an extension grid. But if you expect to be feeding a crowd, the XL could be pretty nice. TBH, the last time I did pulled pork for 30 or so, I used the SV for the better part of the cook, and smoked it first on the LBGE.

I went through the same thing and was talked into the Lg BGE by the Egghead forum. What a mistake! Don't do it, 100% get the XL. The LG BGE is just to damn small, you will forever be buying additional egg extenders and grates in an attempt to better fit food on the grill. Can't tell you how many times I've been cooking say a shoulder (long cook) and also want to put up a brisket-- its doable but not pretty. same with full rack of ribs. two no problem , three you need another level and four is a squeeze. Unless you want to start cutting and fitting. Also nothing larger than a 12 lb packer brisket will fit. Get the XL ! I wish I did. Also it will NOT replace a performer no how no way. I prefer the performer for two zone cooking always. Just not easy at all to do on a ceramic . again , doable but ain't as simple as just moving your protein over the SNS. It is a great low and slow cooker, hot and fast , pizza oven but moving between high and low temps is not easy, more like trying to slow down or speed up a train.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        All of this is pretty much my exact experience. Weber Performer + LBGE. For just the two of us the L is okay, but if we were four it would not be.

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca 100% AGREE . problem arises when both kids (in their 20's) decide to join for dinner.
        We make the lg BGE and 22" performer work along with a Napoleon prestige 500 gasser. But I wish I had done the XL BGE instead.

Go big or go home.....or is that football ??

Comment

• NoogaQ
        NoogaQ commented
        Editing a comment
        What he says!!!

I have a PrimoX glad I have the XL. Get the big one.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I also have a Weber 26. Happy to have both a large grill and kamado. I've never thought the kamado was too big. It's super fuel efficient. But I often use an 18" Jumbo Joe instead of the 26. The 26 uses a lot of fuel.
        Last edited by Attjack; October 17, 2018, 08:23 AM.

For a family of four, definitely the XL. We are just the two of us, and when we have guests the L seems a bit small. You can cook on an XL as if it is an L, but not the other way around.

And, keep the Weber. This past year I used the Weber over the BGE by about 2:1. Other years it's the other way around, that's just the way the cooks went, but it still works out to 50:50, the Weber is just better for some things.
      Last edited by Mosca; October 17, 2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! I'm trying to sell this as an "upgrade" to my wife, so I may have to sacrifice my kettle to the ceramic gods! What does your kettle do better?

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Grilling breakfast and grilling burgers.

Put the Weber on Craigslist for close to retail and then shrug your shoulders when she asks why it’s still there. "I dunno, honey, I’m tryin’!"

You will never wish you had less space...

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        True Story

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        What they said!
        An keep that kettle!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        True dat

I had a Bge large. Now have a Weber performer. Just competed in an Eggfest in Dallas. I wish I had an Egg. What I really like on an Egg vs Weber or others is it does everything. You can smoke/grill/bake whatever cooking. When you are done just close it up. Also gets warm super fast.

The only downside is weight and grill real estate. For me the weight is the only reason I do not have an Egg. I live in a condo so I have to pull the thing in and out of the garage and that garage lip is always a challenge with a grill over 100 lb. even with a cart then gets heavier.

To me if going ceramic I would go KJ. The fit and finish is much better. The jumbo joe has the assist so the lid feels light weight. The regular has a awesome looking durable gasket and the chimney looks higher quality. That being said I am not a ceramic expert and have not cooked on both. I would say stay away from the cheap Costco. They work ok, but will not be great on the baking front due to temp inconsistencies because they are too fat for the height of the grill...hot spot in the middle.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        That new KJ hinge system is great. I don't own a KJ with that system, (yet) but I have played around with them at our local dealer. They are a HUGE improvement over what BGE has and what KJ use to offer. The part I like the most, is it keeps people who know nothing about how heavy a kamado lid is, from slamming it down after they open it. (I cringe every time)

I will probably get some heat for this one, but I am going to say it anyway. I would take a kamado over a Weber kettle any day of the week. (I have 3 kamados and I gave my 2 kettles/SNS combos away) IMHO, switching from a Weber Kettle to a kamado is a definite upgrade. (obviously, you can cook great food on a Weber Kettle, I know that, everyone knows that.)

I have a Kamado Joe Junior, Large Big Green Egg and a Broil King Keg. The Large BGE is perfect for doing a few racks of ribs, a whole packer or a couple pork shoulders. That being said, it would always be great to have the XL for the extra space. With the expandable rack system from Ceramic Grill Store or BGE, you can up the capacity even more, if you want too. I would love to have the XL for certain occasions. However, I think the Large BGE would do fine, but if you have ad deal on the XL, go for it!

In my opinion, a kamado is a great addition to any arsenal of cookers. Having an awesome Shirley off-set, with a kamado, or two will be a great combo and one that I would be envious of. Everyone who is serious about outdoor cooking should have a kamado, of some kind. They are extremely versatile, efficient and they are a blast to run/own.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep BriggsBBQ they are indeed stunning. Complete with a matching price tag. Oh well, I can stil rest easy in the knowledge that while I might not have a "super model" cooker...I can still turn out some tasty food on my collection of black & stainless.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        surfdog that thing is gorgeous! It has an Art Decco vibe to it that I really like. I might have to put this one on my Christmas list.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Craigar Aren’t they though. Same here...also planning a trip to Macy’s in New York as well...’cause ya just never know. ;-)

Such great responses!!!!

Anyone with the Large BGE ever spatchcock a turkey? I'm thinking the grate dimensions would be similar to an 18" WSM, so you can fit a 12-14 lb. bird on there?

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not done a spatchcock but I did do a regular turkey that was 20+ lb on an Large Egg. It was tight but turned out really good for a big bird. Spatch lays the bird out more so not sure about that technique.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't swear by it, but I think I've done it. 12-14 shouldn't be a problem, as you can fit a 21 lb whole turkey in there.

I have a large BGE for two of us but cook for more than just us on a regular basis. XL would be nice as you only use the space you need but have plenty of room for entertaining. Multi level racks help on both.

Comment

With all the good advice here let’s close this by adding not to forget this Harry Soo-ism, " it’s not about the cooker, it’s about the cookee!" Whatever you choose, even if it’s a hole in the ground, learn your cooker well and become a great cookee!!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Word!

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, I guess we'll close it then Troutman.

I'm buying the XL. Hopefully I can pick it up this weekend at the Eggfest in Lake Charles, LA. I'll post some pics later if all goes to plan.

Comment

A fine choice.
          Thats one of the things I like about my WSCGC...lots of space. And not once have I uttered, "Only if it was just a little smaller."

The efficiency makes up for that in a big way IMO...set it up for a small cook and have at it. And if you used a bit more charcoal than needed (guilty), simply "shut it off." The fire goes out fairly quickly, and there will be some charcoal left for the next cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here