Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XL BGE Hinge Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XL BGE Hinge Problem

I had finished a 5 hour baby back rib cook on Tuesday and was going direct for some chicken breasts and corn. When I went to put the food on the lid wouldn't open more than maybe 15" high, and it seemed to want to go off to the right. I tried to close the lid and it was kinda stuck, but I yanked down and to the left and it closed. The lid is aligned properly when closed, I had adjusted everything a couple months ago when I put on a nomex gasket. I don't see anything bent or out of whack around the band or hinges. What can I do here? I checked it today when it was cool and felt around and everything seemed fine but still won't open all the way. Any help?

Two things. One, check the hinge/spring mechanism. Have someone lift the lid while you look to see where it is hanging up. Two, email BGE although I wouldn't mention the nomes gasket

Comment

Oh, wow. I hope this is resolved quickly!

Comment

a-baum do you have a solution yet?

Comment

I figured it out. Took out my wrench set and started loosening things and narrowing it down. Ended up being the bolt that connected the piece of metal that connects the hinge to the spring. Just a little rust in there and it was seizing up. I left it loose by about a full turn and it's working great now. I also applied some wd-40 on the moving parts. I am trying to find a picture to show the next guy who searches for this, but I have an older style spring assist and I can really only find pics of the new design. Thanks for checking back in!

Comment

Great! Keep calm and Egg on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here