Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Kamado trick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Kamado trick!

Prop your BGE or other kamado open in the heat of the day. Otherwise they can get frozen and you potentially damage the seal trying to pull it open.

I few sheets of newspaper in the ash area *may* help to get it open (it was only 30 and I got it open with out too much trouble.

Given I knew the cold was coming I could/should have propped it open. Merry Christmas everyone!
    Last edited by RolfTaylor; December 25, 2022, 11:18 AM.

Thanks for the tip!

I did a pork butt on Friday in one of my Weber's. Started out just raining. Temp dropped big time during the day. Saturday, I attempted to use the same grill for a ham. I did get the lid open, but the ash sweep was / is frozen solid. Had to use my other Weber. First time I've experienced this.

Comment

my Primo was frozen shut yesterday for a Christmas Eve Wib cook....it was below 0 degrees at the time.

I got some coals going in a chimney. dropped a few in through the chimney, used some tongs to place a couple in the lower ash area. Took about 90 mins to slowly warm (by design), but she opened. Planned ahead for it so everything worked out.

Comment

Or just open the top vent then use a propane torch to start the lump from under the iron grate. Also keep the cooking grates and heat plates out, just in case all else fails and you have to drop lit charcoal down the top vent.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here