Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pan in BGE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pan in BGE?

Hey all! I haven’t posted in a while but when my neighbor asked about smoking pork and beef ribs in his BGE that his father in law gave him I knew right where to go for this question. Do you use a water bowl or pan on a low and slow cook on a BGE? Thoughts?

You can, but it is not necessary. The egg works with low air flow. Just enough to maintain the desired temperature. It stays VERY humid inside if you are not constantly lifting the lid.

When I do smoked turkey I place a pan under the bird with the gravy recipe from the free side of this website. It gets humid enough to cause condensation to form on the lid.

Also I quit covering the heat plates with foil. I just flip em over after a cook and open up the vents. Fire builds VERY fast and the plates get clean enough.

If the egg does not have the heat plate, order one. It is a necessary item. The ash tool is also necessary.

Comment

SmokeyGator Thanks! So good smoke flavor and good bark without it? (I guess I could of asked that up front 😀)

Comment

Mudkat Yea. You get great results using it without a pan. You CAN use one, and like I said I do when I want to catch drippings for gravy with turkey. But for beef, ribs, or pork I do not use any sort of water pan.

Comment

I do and I don’t. I think the added moisture attracts more smoke. As SmokeyGator indicated it isn’t necessary.

Comment

Good stuff thanks guys!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here