Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Temps they are a crazy today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Temps they are a crazy today!

*I decided to put all of my comments here. It's beginning to look like it might make for a funny smoker story.*

I have never sealed my WSM leaks with the high temp foam. Today, I am having real difficulty in keeping the temps reasonable. I'm thinking it is because of the new KBB "100 year" briquettes, but I hate to judge so early.

I have closed the bottom vents, and the exhaust is only open at 1/4. I got the temp down from 327 and climbing to 291 and slowly falling. But, I'm worried I will smother the coals.

Any advice? I want to put the pork butt on, but should I?

------

While I was typing the post, Temp has dropped to 278.1

-----

I went ahead and dropped the meat in the smoker. I believe I have the temps near enough controlled and I don't want to be up until midnight! Of course, opening the lid and then the door caused the temps to jump up again haha!
    We will see............ back at 303 sheesh.

-----

Temp is slowly dropping again, finally. 291. I always thought the wind would cause a drop in temperatures, but I am thinking having the exhaust on the downside of the wind may be causing a stronger pull.

-----
    Last edited by Porkies; October 22, 2020, 10:11 AM.

Pics of my possible mistake
    Attached Files

Comment

Fire = Fuel + heat + oxygen, That is what I know, be sure to post the resolve. Thank you.

Comment

• Porkies
        Porkies commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv I ended up getting the vents adjusted just as Panhead John mentioned below. It just took a while to get it dialed in with the winds. Once I had the vents right, it fluctuated about 5 degrees only, until the winds died down and it went even more stable. After a couple of hours, I ended up with the rest of the cook in the 259 - 265 range (well, i still have an hour or two left to go, as the meat is sitting at 183 now).

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        sounds good, Tx U

2 1/2 hours in and I believe I have defeated my first "things are not going right" episode. If the coals last out then everything will be great and normal.

Attached Files

Comment

It will be OK. Butts can handle the temp swings. I have had some wild swings with my wsm too.

Comment

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks klflowers It all seems to have calmed a bit. It was a crazy morning and I rushed through getting the smoke setup. I didn't trim at all haha!

Depending on the wind speed, you may be experiencing the temperature spikes due to the increased oxygen flow. I've seen people try and combat this on a WSM, by surrounding it with something like folding tables laid on their sides placed relatively close together.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/c...ld/#windscreen

Comment

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          I will have to check this out. I've considered building a box for it, but never got around to doing it. Thanks!

I think the KBB 100 Year is just special packaging of regular KBB, similar to otherseasonal themes I've seen in the past.

Comment

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, and the coals have lasted over 10 hours now. I think they're good to go

Porkies I have a WSM also. Are you using the water pan......with water in it? That helps a lot to keep the temps down. It also takes a while to notice the temperature changes when adjusting the vents. Sometimes 15-20 minutes. It’s not instantaneous. But really, don’t worry too much about the temp. of 250-275, it’s fine for a butt. I find it difficult sometimes to get and keep mine at 225. I wouldn’t crack the top vent past halfway, bottom vents 1/4 of way should be ok. When temp. drops too low, open bottom vents a little more.
        Last edited by Panhead John; October 22, 2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          Your settings are where I got to within an hour or so. I have not been using any water in the pan, but do keep the pan in place. I may need to experiment with the water, especially on windy days.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Good deal! The water also helps prevent big temperature swings, as well as moisturizing the meat.

I cook on a Big Green Egg and eradicate gusting winds can cause large temp swings. Has that been going on today?

Comment

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, we had a fairly steady wind in the morning with gusts. In the last couple of hours, the wind, and the gusts have calmed. Temp is running 252 - 254 now. I never experienced a windy day while smoking, I guess, and just never thought about it.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Porkies I live in Dallas, so It is quite common to have on again/off again gusting winds. I built a wind shield at the intake vent to tone down the effect of the gusts. I am not sure if you can build one for your cooker.

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking I should build a box for it. Could use the in the winter, definitely, and it would help keep the birds off the cover haha!

7 1/2 hours - grate temp 268.3 - meat temp 181.3
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_180241.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	927889

Comment

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, sir! I made a mental note of those vent settings as it was stable once I got them dialed in and the temp dropped into a good range. I did still have to keep the intakes at less than 1/4 open until the winds died down. Without the wind, the temp started dropping and after 30 minutes I opened them up to the 1/4 mark. Now, I have a beer and am riding out the last 15 degrees !

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Porkies I second Panhead John particularly if you are cooking a Butt.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Good deal Porkies! The most important thing is to drink that beer and have fun! On my WSM, I’ve found that the 1/4 opening of the bottom vents and about 1/2 on the top is the sweet spot once temps have settled in. Be sure and show us plated pics of your cook, or you will be put on probation. 😂
          Last edited by Panhead John; October 22, 2020, 07:02 PM.

The End. 10 1/2 hours and worth it! I had a few coals left and so not sure what the internet naysayers were saying.
        I'm ready to do it again.

Comment

Pics of the result.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_211345.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	927995Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_213349.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	927994Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_214037.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	927993Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_214130.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	927992Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_214815.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	927991Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_215439.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	927990Click image for larger version

Name:	image(4).jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	927989

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like you did darn good! Can’t go wrong with cornbread. Yes sir.

I have read that in windy conditions closing, or mostly closing the vents on the windy side, and controlling the temp with the third vent can help. I would also think pointing the door away from the wind would help. I don't have enough experience on the WSM yet to say for sure if this works. I'm just regurgitating what I have read elsewhere.

It looks like you ended up good eats, so at the end of the day, that's what counts.

Comment

• Porkies
            Porkies commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll keep that door recommendation in mind and try it the next time I smokin' in the wind. Thanks

It looks like ya managed to make a great cook of it, despite th winds.

Nicely Done, Brother!

Comment

• Porkies
            Porkies commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Mr. Bones It was a bumpy beginning which ended up with good food, and I learned a couple things.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis