Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The WSM and charcoal time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WSM and charcoal time

3 weeks ago we smoked a 14 lb brisket and a port butt on my WSM 22". The good news is that they turned out really well, and we impressed our friends and neighbors. The flip side is fire management. We started at 7:20 am w/ the brisket and added the butt about 5 hrs later, and both were ready by 6:45pm (brisket got to 195, port butt at 198). When we started, I used about 3/4th's of an 18 lb bag of Kingsford, using the minion method. Once we got the heat to 265 or so, we put the brisket on and it was game on. We probably got close to 5 hours into it , and then I started to add coals. Probably added some coals every hour till we were done. We have the heat up around 260, and when it would sink below 225 we'd add. Again, it turned out great , and we had a lot of fun, but I'm wondering if I could get a little more bang for the buck on the coals -- namely, maybe only having to add coals a couple of times instead of 5 or 6 times. Appreciate the help.

If you load up your charcoal basket with charcoal and are using the minion method, your cook should last at least 8-10 hours without adding charcoal. From your post, I assume you do not have an ATC (automatic temp controller). You should invest in one. I will put a butt on at 10pm, dial it in by 11pm and then go to bed. Wake up at 6am and the temp is the same.

Comment

There are some nice after market large capacity stainless baskets you can buy for the WSM. Allows you to extend out 12-14 hours with the larger capacity.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here