Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bellows/Fans and Charcoal Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bellows/Fans and Charcoal Setup

Question for folks who use ventilation fans with their WSM. I use a ThermoWorks Bellows and am getting ready to add a damper to the unit. I find my charcoal burn pattern is “funky” when I use my bellows/billows. I use the center minion method normally when naturally aspirating. Do folks who use fans setup their charcoal any differently when they use their fans? Start with lighted coals closer to the fan? Opposite the fan? Do nothing differently?

I start with lighted charcoal on the opposite side from the fan

Comment

• jsaniga
      jsaniga commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting - thanks

When I was using my WSM, I used the middle minion method with my fan (BBQ Guru). Never had an issue.

Comment

I use the minion method with the lit side next to my stoker. I like this way best.

Comment

I used a 22" WSM with a BBQ Guru PartyQ for awhile. I had my best results when I setup the WSM as though I didn't have the fan controller, and only turned it on once it was up to operating temperature and stable. Then I kept the vents closed down only a little more than normal. In other words, don't make the fan controller do all the work.

Minion or snake method, both worked fine for me.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          jsaniga, there may or may not be some ashes blowing around, but I think it is minimal. I've never noticed it collecting on the food, and I've never really looked specifically to see. I used to run my Ranch Kettle the same way for overnight cooks, so that's what made me think to do it with the WSM.

• jsaniga
          jsaniga commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. Thanks - will go this route on my next smoke. When you “slightly” closed your vents, would you say they were closed by about 1/3? Did you manage temp/air flow mostly with your top vent?

• Hydrated
          Hydrated commented
          Editing a comment
          You should totally close all of the intake vents except the one that has the fan attached. If you do not close them, you are defeating the whole purpose of the computer controller/fan system. The controller is supposed to use the fan to deliver air to the firebox when the temp gets below your set point, and cut airflow if temps get too high. Having other intake vents open introduces variables that the controller is not programmed to account for.

You may as well remove your fan and go old school

I light like normal and don’t treat it any differently. The last cook I did on my WSM was brisket and I set it to 250. Probably should’ve done 275. Turned out great and I did it on a low teens night a few nights before Christmas. I do minion method and start with maybe 12 coals.
        Last edited by radiodome21; January 30, 2023, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here