Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM grate temps - different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM grate temps - different?

I am smoking a 12 pound brisket tomorrow in my 14.5 WSM. I am going to have to cut the brisket in half and utilize both grates in this little cooker. Does anybody know which grate has higher temps? I want to put the point end on the hotter grate and the flat portion on the cooler grate for obvious reasons. I would research it on my own but I am really short on time between now and tomorrow's cook. I am hoping that someone in the pit already has this information in the ole noggin and can dispense with it quickly and easily.

I would suggest you only trim enough off the flat to make it fit the grate. The more equal the size of a brisket end to end and side to side the easier and more consistent it cooks.
    Red

Comment

The top grate should be the hottest since heat rises

Comment

The top grate will be hotter as stated. You may have a temp difference of at least 50 degrees less in the lower grate. That's what I've seen with a 22.5 kettle. Still, you will need probes on both grates as cookers vary.

Also, I think Red has a very good point.

Good luck!

--Ed

Comment

Here is part of what I posted about a month ago regarding a brisket on a WSM 18.5.

I started with a 13lb whole brisket and after trimming, ended up separating the point (4lb) and flat (6lb) due to the size of the whole not fitting in the WSM 18.5. I put a 50/50 salt/pepper rub (recommended by Franklin) on the night before and injected with just beef broth in the morning. Briskets went on at 6:30 am at 230 using Kingsford Blue and a mix of Mesquite and Hickory chunks. At 11am, both hit 167 at which time I crutched with a little beef broth. The point finished about 1:30 and the flat about 2:40. Wrapped both in towels and the cooler until 5:30. Sliced as Meathead recommends. They were both very tender. The point passed the pull test a little easier than the flat as expected but the meat did not fall apart while cutting.

Comment

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Great Post!

--Ed

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Forgot to mention in original post. I put flat on bottom grate and point on top (although point weighed less) due to point being thicker and top grate being hotter. Usually a 10-15 degree difference between the two grates at startup but seems to converge the longer I cook. When cooking pieces of a similar thickness (ribs), I rotate halfway through the cook. Set my Digiq to manage top grate at desired temp. Monitor meat temps with Digiq at one level and Maverick 732 at the other.

It's about 15 degrees difference in the 14.5.

Comment

I have found there is a about 10 degree difference in the 18" WSM, with the upper grate being hotter. I have a WSM with an extra mid section and the difference between the lowest to the highest (4th grate up) is around 15 degrees

Comment

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              Very interesting temp differences with the 14.5 / 18 WSM compared to the kettle. Glad Ernest and FLBuckeye could provide accurate info!

• Dilla
              Dilla commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello FLBuckeye, where did you get the extra mid section. I have an 18.5 WSM as well and would like to do the same?

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              Dilla I got the WSM on craigslist from a fellow pit member. He also had another mid section he had received from the store where he bought it (I think he thought he had a problem with the one that came with it but it was fine after a few cooks). He also included the Cajun Bandit hinge plus some gaskets. Great deal for $150. I bought the CB door and have been good to go. Look around at http://tvwbb.com/ for some cool ideas and mods

Thank you all!

I will put the point end on top. The Pit rocks! To be able to get this kind of information on such short notice...

Comment

JeffJ don't forget to post pics of the cook

Comment

Yes, we like pictures. Sometime last year, I stayed up all night and posted a video play by play on a wagyu brisket I did. Don't remember the name of the thread, but I was half drunk and it was somewhat entertaining LOL.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember that video series! I didn't know you were imbibing!

• Chriscrna
                  Chriscrna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought BBQ and imbibing were synonymous

The brisket turned out great. I will be posting pics on the 'show us what you are cooking' thread.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our†complete†review

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared†Zone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Grills Trek smoker

Green Mountain Grills Trek smoker

Green Mountain’s portable Trek Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it’s also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Trek from your smart phone or laptop.