Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second set of ribs on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second set of ribs on the PBC

Second PBC cook of ribs was perfect! Knowing that from the last cook they were a bit faster than I was expecting, we opened up and checked at two hours. They were ready for sauce, and with another 20 or 30 minutes we had a great feast. Since the
    coals were still hot, I tossed some sausages on, and we will have leftovers for a few more days.

I was at a restaurant supply place and found a 16" round metal pan with a very small lip. It fit perfectly in the bottom of the PBC and I figured it would be a good ash catcher. Of course then I couldn't get it out without tilting the barrel. So I used a long sheet of heavy duty foil folded over a couple of times and made a sling, kind of like what some people do to get a turkey out of the roasting pan. When the cooker was cool, the pan and ashes came out very easily.

I still don't consider myself a pro, but I think I am ready to have some friends over for a cookout without poisoning them!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150711_134016839.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	96182

Loooks great!

Comment

Duuuuude, looks awesome brother. I love it when the meat pulls from the bone like that at the end of the cook. It's when you know that perfection has been achieved. Nice work my friend. Welcome to the wonderful world of the PBC!!

Comment

Yummy yum yum. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

Good looking ribs! Yno I moved this topic as you requested.

Comment

I'll have BOTH ends of those racks!!

Comment

Looks great, 2.5 hours is FAST

Comment

• Munch
                Munch commented
                Editing a comment
                On my 1st cook I went 3 hours before I sauced, then another 20 minutes until plating. I wonder what his temps were?

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                I would think 325 or so...

Looks good. I hope my first or second ribs Vimeo out like that.

Comment

Next time I do ribs I will monitor the temperature of the PBC. The first two times I didn't want to get involved in micro-managing the cooker. I do wish I had done the second cook first, though. The first set were very good, but this set was great!

Thanks for moving it, David Parrish.

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You bet.

I'm gonna be honest... ribs give me more trouble than any other meat I cook. They're usually pretty dang good, but I don't consistently hit a grand slam. I shall have to keep practicing!

Your flat plate was probably a pizza pan, now ash catcher. Cut 3 tabs around the edge (use the rack supports as guides), bend the tabs up and punch a hole in them. Get some stiffish wire, make three handles with small hooks on the end. To empty, lower the wires and put the hooks through the tab holes, one at a time, then lift it out. If you have some iron or SS wire, you can probably leave the handles on all the time. I'll see if I can find a picture. I use a couple of extra plates to sit the coal basket &/or chimney lighter on to keep the patio cleaner when loading & unloading.

Comment

We just did another set of ribs. Now I am ready for a nap! I monitored the temps this time:
                  Start 329o
                  15 minutes 257o
                  30 minutes 233o
                  45 minutes 243o
                  60 minutes 237o
                  1.25 hours 244o
                  1.50 hours 242o
                  1.75 hours 241o
                  2.00 hours 240o
                  2.25 hours 256o sauced ribs
                  2.50 hours 247o
                  2.75 hours 239o
                  3.00 hours 241o ribs are done

They were the bestest yet! And we have leftovers for the weekend (we did four racks, but we started eating before I took the picture). We put the grill in the PBC and did some more sausages, then threw in some new potatoes. A friend of mine who worked in a restaurant has a recipe for smoked potato salad, so I thought we might try it.

Lovin' the PBC!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	98684

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here