Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A year in.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A year in.....

I've had my PBC for nearly a year now.

I love this thing. Unequivocally, without question.

This was the right smoker for me. I've done, on average, at least a cook every two-three weeks. They all come out really good and with a minimal amount of fiddling or fuss.

Thank you all who steered me in this direction.

I've nearly abandoned my Weber, except for direct grilling or combo direct/indirect cooks.

Things I love about the PBC:
    • Consistency. When you light your coals in a certain way and use a certain amount, generally, the temps one gets are consistent.
    • The grate fits in my sink to clean!
    • Silly easy clean up.
    • There is a "pit" flavor to the food. Hard to describe. Not acrid at all, but "hard-core BBQ." I find I use less wood than I did with my Weber Kettle.
    • Evenness of indirect cooking. All the heat comes from below. Just flip to get the other side. No moving things around with the horizontal offset of the Weber Kettle.
    Things I don't exactly like:
    • Runs really hot for your first 10-15 cooks until it gunks up.
    • If you let the temps get away from you, they are hard to bring back down sometimes.
    • Minor awkwardness running temp probes into the PBC. (Second nature now.)
    • Minor awkwardness of using foil to plug one or two of the holes around the rebar when the temps get too high. (Again, second nature now.)
    • Generally speaking, you do have to use a full basket of KBB for relatively short cooks (~0-2 hours). I so want to do salmon on this thing, but that is a lot of charcoal.
    And, I love the hot-and-fast method. With my life right now, I can't dedicate 10-12 hours to monitoring a cook. Also, given the results I've gotten based on the cost: The PBC is amazing.

And, paradoxically, the great results I've gotten on the PBC have helped me use my Weber more effectively!

It is a great product and cannot be beat for the cost.
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; November 2, 2020, 07:00 PM.

I called it "temp controlled grilling flavor."

I remember my first bite of ribs, the first thing we cooked on it, and oh man I could not believe the flavor. My ex-wife said that that will go down as the best single purchase I will ever make. I've paid for two divorces that could probably top the PBC. Still thinking of getting the mini version since it is just me.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard then it was a moral victory, and those count.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I don't think BFlynn is of much a mind to give your souped-up PBC back. Best buy a new one.

K.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      I mean, I guess you can have it back if you REALLY want it, but you'll have to get passed my ferocious guard dachshunds tk get it.

Buy a metal bucket. When I have a short cook, I put the entire basket of hot coals in the bucket, cover it and smother the fire. Preserves the charcoal for the next cook.

Comment

Another satisfied PBC user! I have the PBJ, and like it more all the time. I, too, have enjoyed the hot & fast method, especially for brisket. I leave the rebars out and generally take it off in about 5 hours. As far as the charcoal for shorter cooks, if I use a full basket, I take the basket out and put it on the grate in my Weber to snuff it out, then use the charcoal with some fresh next time. However, I have experimented with less charcoal for short cooks. Like you, I think it’s a great cooker for the money.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty much in love with my PBC. Too easy, but don't tell anyone.

Comment

Where's HawkerXP with his chant? I like hearing it in the background as I type yet another love note to my PBC as well. That cooker can work magic with food and requires so little effort.

I personally think PBCs should be sold with a gasket around the lid inner rim. It's an easy way to optimize first user experience.

You made a wise choice, Michael, finding a smoker that fits your needs so nicely and performs so well. Continue to enjoy that baby.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; November 4, 2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc agreed a simple gasket would probably make it worth their while just by reducing customer service inquiries on new barrels running hot.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            ..., ..., ...!

The little barrel that could.

Love it!

Comment

Nice I'm a big fan too. Although I must disagree that you always have to use a full basket. I've done dozens of shorter cooks, everything from an individual steak to sausages or "fried" chicken thighs where I use 40 briquettes in the chimney and maybe a dozen in the basket. All have turned out great and never once ran out of fuel

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
              Alabama Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. I use about a third basket and about 25 starter coals in the chimney and get plenty of heat for a 2 to 3 hour cook. Using Kingsford Pro or Weber or Royal Oak Premium briquets. I do let the chimney coals become totally involved prior to dumping them. Doing this sometimes gives my too little heat initially and when that occurs I just crack the lid until I get it up to say 325F or so then reseat the lid. Put meat on as soon as heavy white smoke subsides.

We need to save this and share it with anyone looking at the PBC or PBJ.

PBC, PBJ, PBC!

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I use the "light the coals outside, dump and insert basket with a rake" method. So if I've done a short cook I'll again use the rake to remove the basket and put in my kettle to extinguish.

I've been occasionally experimenting with using less than a full basket for 1-2 hour cooks. (Including right now, in fact.) I'll use a full PBC chimney, but only 40 briquettes in the basket. The PBC takes longer to get to 275ish, but it will get there and hover there.

Comment

Another interesting observation -- and this could simply be gaining more experience -- but the PBC has made me a much more relaxed cooker. Before, I was nearly constantly fiddling with the Weber's vents. And even with my first few cooks with the PBC, I was fretting about plugging those holes.

But now....I just kinda of let it do its thing. Unless I am doing a long smoke, I don't even put a temp probe in it anymore. (I've come a long way since thinking that a 2 degree deviation from 275 would result in a ruined cook!) It's consistency lets me know that I'll be 275-325 for cook. Love it.

Comment

• Soonerpop
                Soonerpop commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep.

Welcome my brother to the zen of outdoor cooking.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                13. Let the barrel do its thing

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                0. Let the barrel do its thing.

Depending on how much and what you are cooking you can absolutely rock a half basket of briquettes for less than 2 hours of cooking. So chicken, tri-tip, flank steak, sausages... If you decide to go big and do a lot, full basket every time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here