Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pulled Pork

Dry brined overnight with Pit Barrel beef and game rub and some Kosher salt. Paid more attention to the initial start and had the temp at 400 before adding the pork. 1 chunk of hickory. About an hour in it has settled at 270 (yay!) worried it was going to keep dropping again. It’s about 8 lbs so I’ll make a decision on wrapping later depending on time. So far so good!

And the temp kept dropping, went to 249 and had to run to the store came back and it’s at 221. Ugh. Opened the Bottom (Altitude) hole a little more. Cracked the lid for now but can’t seem to get it to hold temperature. Not sure at this point. .

at 1.5 hours neat is up to 137 so that seems to be going okay.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E7F25AD2-BCB6-4313-83B2-66ED0F6F1FEB.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	3.93 MB ID:	922214
    Last edited by ByTor; October 11, 2020, 10:07 AM.

Mine tends to bounce around too. I've learned it doesn't really matter too much. Cook it to the proper temperature and it'll be fine.

Comment

Your barrel looks nice and clean. I would think it would be running hot. Foil under ash pan not blocking inlet hole? I don't see your pit thermometer in picture. Its not too close to the cold meat? I would of cracked (I put a small stick under lid) at 249. It will spool up fast so watch out it doesn't go crazy.

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe the barrel is TOO clean.

Went ahead and took it off the hooks and put it on the grate, pulled a rebar and it seems to be Slowly dropping still fro: 265 > 259 last 15 minutes. 3 1/4 hours in meat temp just hit 152 so it seems to be cooking normal, even fast I guess. Think I’ll let it go for another 45 minutes and wrap.

Could it be the Kingsford Original charcoal not holding the temp?

I am hanging the probe through the grate so I think it’s pretty accurate.
      Last edited by ByTor; October 11, 2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with removing hooks. A hunk that big would break lose eventually. I also like to cut big ones in half, more bark. Try moving the probe to another spot. Yes, temps vary in the barrel. Its best to not worry so much. Go rake some leaves.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Find it hard to believe it continues to drop with a rebar out. How old is the charcoal? Was it damp?

With the rebar out it did okay and finished up and it was great. Cooked some stuffed shrooms but didn’t care for the smoke flavor on them to be honest. They were okay.

It’s Kingsford Original and bag wrapped in original plastic it came in since it was a 2 pack. Kept in my shed only a couple months old. Seems like it has to be the charcoal though. I’ll get something different and find out. Suggestions? Click image for larger version

Name:	DF561500-9544-41E8-9C48-F093DBB79318.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	922487Click image for larger version

Name:	4077ADB9-6D5D-42E2-A872-21EA13A73EE1.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	922488Click image for larger version

Name:	791EE76C-7E57-4B10-8A03-3ED6AD810792.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	922489

Comment

Looks great. Not sure what's going on. I use Kingsford most of the time and never had this kind of problem. Rebar out and it'll climb into the mid 300's. I also like B&B briquettes but can't seem to find them right now at my Ace stores.

Comment

I agree. This is very strange. When my PBC was new, I had a heck of a time getting it to stay below 375!

The only two things I can really think of is that your temp probe went nuts on you or the aluminum foil you used just happened to restrict the air flow in some way.

What lighting method did you use?

Comment

Mine does that if I don’t pay very close attention to how I start the charcoal. For me the Chimney needs to totally ash over and after dumping it in the basket I have to wait the full 15 mins before putting the lid on and the full 10 before adding the rebar back in. Then my temps will equalize one adding a big hunk of meat.

Comment

Pork looks like it came out ok.
              Personally, I like to cut my pork butts into 3ish lb sections - more bark and a little faster cooking time.

No idea about the temp drop. Maybe the intake was blocked some to restrict airflow.

​​​​​Ive had my temp probe shift and lean up against the meat, so it reads lower.

Also, if I was just doing that 1 hunk of meat, I'd use the grate.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here