Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time using my PBC made some ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time using my PBC made some ribs

Since I saw most of the first time cooks in the PBC is always ribs here's my first attempt. I did nothing special just added yellow mustard and PBC all-purpose rub, let it marinate for 4 hrs in the fridge, cooked them at 275f ish but at some times the PBC when high as 308f , mess with the famous tinfoil and I think I kinda got it i used about 15 KO briskets because I was running out the rest was lump charcoal with some apple wood for smoke. Any suggestions welcome.
    Attached Files

I do not have a PBC, but those ribs look great. I would glad little eat them until I couldn’t anymore!

Comment

I'd eat that!

Comment

Those look pretty tasty.

If you're happy with how they turned out, then just keep doing what you did!

I, personally, like to dry brine with salt over night, and then use a rub that doesn't have salt in it. But that's me.

If there are things you want to improve - bark isn't to your liking, too soft, not soft enough, etc, we can give lots of advice

Comment

• Alphatrex
          Alphatrex commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to work on the bark a little more was soft not much for me

They look great. Did they pull off the bone with a little tug?

Comment

• Alphatrex
          Alphatrex commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea they did, very moist as well.

If you wrapped them in tinfoil, that'll soften the bark some.

You can throw them back on the heat the last few mins to firm it up. Or. Wrap in butcher paper instead of foil

Ive also gotten a better bark lately with 2 layers of seasoning - POG {pepper, onion, garlic} then meathead memphis dust
        Last edited by BFlynn; July 24, 2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Nice ribs!

Comment

Well, my suggestion is to send me some next time!

Comment

Yup, nice wibs! Aren’t you a happy camper. It’s amazing what happens to wibs on that thing. Wait til ya try chickies.

Comment

What FireMan said.

Those ribs look yummy.

Kathryn

Comment

They do look great! How long were they on?

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ooops.....PBC, PBC, PBC!!

• Alphatrex
                    Alphatrex commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They were on for 4hr, check them at the 2 hr mark then every hr from there.

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another thing I do when checking, like at the 2 hr and every half hour, I move them, say in a clockwise rotation in the barrel. There are hot spots and cold spots, so this gives them all a chance in each.

Mmmmmm. Ribs. Nice job!

Sugar = bark. I’ve never used the PBC rub so have no idea how much sugar (if any) is in it. I use Killer Hogs BBQ rub and get a great bark every time. I’ve cooked them straight through with no wrap vs wrapping and I honestly prefer wrapping as I don’t like a firm bark. Just wait until the bark sets (scratch it with your fingernail) and has the color you want before you wrap. And don’t put anything in the foil. Just the ribs.

Don’t worry about the PBC temp. Put your temp probes away and just let it ride. The PBC doesn’t like being watched.

Comment

• Alphatrex
                    Alphatrex commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks will look on to Killer Hogs BBQ rub, Thanks for the rub.

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree with CDawg. Let it roll. We understand wanting to watch but don't get carried away trying to control temps. You'll figure it out once you get a few cooks done. We are always here for you.

• Alabama Smoke
                    Alabama Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Regarding the PBC rubs. For us at least they taste good but keep us up all night drinking water.....too much salt!! Especially the beef and game rub. Love my PBC but not the rubs. I am a big fan of @Meathead's approach. Salt brine sparingly, then rub separately.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis