Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook time on a 4lb pork butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook time on a 4lb pork butt?

Hey all, I've got a 4lb bone in butt I'm going to smoke today. I've never done one so small so was wondering how much faster it will cook. Anyone have any experience with this? Planning on wrapping with some liquid at the end... Thanks!

I did a 4lb butt last week in the PBC on the grate. 9 hrs at 225 +/- 10 degrees using the Signal/Billows controller

Comment

• Rustybaum
      Rustybaum commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. I usually hang mine for the first part and wrap at the end. My PBC usually runs closer to 275 too. Need to look into a controller...

• Rustybaum
      Rustybaum commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, have you done larger butts this way? If so, how much difference in total time was it?

The length of cook really depends On how thick the meat is And not necessarily how much it weighs. Pork butts are really forgiving so you can run the cooker hotter If needed I did 2-10 lbs butts in the PBC a couple weekends and I think from start to finish including cambro time I had around 9 total hours invested. I started them at around 400f and just let the cooker come down to 325f. At 165 I wrapped and put them in a 300f oven to finish.

Comment

• Rustybaum
      Rustybaum commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that makes sense (re thickness).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here