Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Tri Tip V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Tri Tip V2

Did a second Tri Tip in the PBC -- Trying for a better crust this time.

Took a chance in letting the grocery delivery guy pick out the meat. He didn't do a bad job with limited selection.
    Grass fed, choice, decent marbling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	start.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	877229

Marinade in cabernet/soy/ginger marinade for 4 hours. Which seems to be plenty of time.

Name:	Marinade.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	877230

Dried off with paper towels once. Wrapped in paper towels, and put in fridge for an hour-ish.

Seasoned with POG recipe that I "borrowed" from Troutman. And probed.

Name:	seasoned2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	877231

Used HEB brand charcoal bc that's what our delivery guy brought instead of B&B. Seemed to be a little slower to light. But cooked fine.

On Fuel and Lighting -
    Used 35 briquettes in the chimney. Only put a few small chunks of hickory and apple wood in the basket.
    Let coals go in the chimney for 10 mins.Only partially ashy. Should have left in chimney longer.
    Dumped in basket and started fireboard, left lid off for 5 mins.
    Added Pit Viper fan (1/3 open), shut lid, set temp for 230.
    Took 12 minutes to get to 230. Spiked when I put the meat on over 300. Mostly cooked between 230-240.
    Fuel still ran another 5 hours, and had unlit charcoal. Next time, will use 25 briquettes and leave in started longer.

Took about 50 minutes for internal temp to reach 110.
    When it hit 100, I fired up the side burner on my Broil King and put a cast iron skillet on. Skillet went over 500 degrees.

Name:	Skillet temp.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	877232

Seared!!

Name:	Skillet.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	877233

Name:	sear 1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	877234

Left hooked up to fireboard to monitor temps. Temps hardly moved during sear.

Broke out my new Maverick PT 55! Took to 128.

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	877236

Name:	readu.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	877235

Took the used marinade and simmered to make a sauce.

Wife was happy. Crust was better.

Good all around.

That’s a winner for sure. Hard to find tri tip here. Wish that wasn’t so.

Comment

that looks NICE

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I just sliced up the leftovers for a sandwich

How did you like the grass finished beef there? I tried some and didn't care for it at all. I'll stick with Prime 1 myself. Good idea on the marinade, bet that added good flavor. Nice job !!!

Comment

The grass fed was fine.
        I didn't notice a big difference between this, and the regular, select I got last time. For twice the price, it wasn't twice as good.
        It's such a lean cut, that I'm not sure it matters as much.

The marinade I "borrowed" from my godparents. One of the wineries they visitied a lot did it this way.

We've been trying to use grocery deliveries as much as possible. It's a little of a crap shoot letting someone else pick out your meat.
        Last edited by BFlynn; July 8, 2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Nice crust.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here