Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just PBC ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just PBC ribs.

Smoked some Baby Back ribs this weekend. Still fiddling with fuel amounts for shorter cooks.

This time put 50 briquettes in the baskets and 25 in the chimney.
    10 minutes in the chimney, then dumped.
    5 minutes with lid off.
    10 minutes with lid on, fan damper at 1/3 set point at 240 F.

​

Came to temp quickly but had trouble with temps about halfway through.
    With smaller amount of fuel - charcoal needs to pushed together. I had it spread out to much, so as what was lit burned out, new charcoal didn't get going.

​
    Once I pushed it all to one side, I kept even temps.

​
    ​​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	20200705_174704.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	876366

Still, I got 7+ hrs at 240 ish with a total of 75 briquettes. Next time I'll probably reduce to 60.

Also normally I use 3 fist size chunks of hickory. This time I used half as much apple wood. Didn't get quite the smoke profile I wanted.

First time cutting racks in half.
    Previous cooks I've had slightly over done ribs on one end and slightly under cooked at the other. This was more consistent though out, although I probably let them go 20-30 mins too long.
    They were about halfway between "clean pull" and "fall off the bone". I know I'm splitting hairs....
    ​​​​​But I'm chasing that perfect racks of ribs......

Cut in half and dry brined over night.
    Also these had extra loin meat so. Trimmed that off.

Covered in modified MMD. (replacing half the white sugar with coconut sugar bc I ran out - -the taste profile is good but the there is a difference in bark with the sugar substitution)

​
    Single hooked since they were half racks.

2 hrs in, bark was starting to look good.
    More even cooking top to bottom

Sauced 1 rack little after 3 hrs.
    Let go 20 mins.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200705_193615.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	876367

Sauced again and let go another 20 mins. Meat hadn't pulled back from bones as much as normal. Temps were in the 190s

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200705_193926.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	876368

Didn't get the normal smoke ring.

​​​​​Had on portions, not on all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200705_194033.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	876369

Meat was a smidge over done, but not mushy or fall off the bone.

Bones were spotted - not bleached white.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200705_194656.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	876370

​​​​​​Had some trouble evaluating doneness without the bend test.
    ​​​
    Over all - tasty ribs.

​​​​​​Getting closer on "right" amount of fuel for shorter cooks.

Had more consistent doneness through out rack.
    ​​​​​
    Only smoking 1 meat was weird.
    Couldn't handle it! Threw on a roll of spicy turkey breakfast sausage while the ribs cooked and then some corn, once the ribs came off.

Last edited by BFlynn; July 6, 2020, 12:37 PM.

I'm going to keep tabs on your progress!

I also smoked some baby back ribs this weekend, but I wasn't anywhere near as focused as you were.

I loaded the basket as normal, and took 1/4 out and started them in a chimney. I let them go until they were all lightly ashed over (about 30 minutes), then added them to the briquettes in the basket, but I used a charcoal rake to spread them evenly over the unlit charcoal. I left the top off for about 15 minutes, and then put my ribs in and put the cover back on. I did not cut the racks in half, as they were about 17 inches long. (The spareribs I did recently were closer to 21 inches, so I cut them in half.)

I let them cook for about 3 hours, but I had a remote temperature probe in one of the racks so I could monitor progress. The air intake on the Pit Barrel Cooker was about 1/4 or slightly more. At 195 degrees, I pulled them out, sauced them, and then put them back in for about 20 minutes.

They came out well. They didn't have a bark on them like the spareribs did, but all I did was add a little Pit Barrel All Purpose rub on them before cooking. The meat did pull back from the bone, but they were not "fall of the bone" tender as the spareribs were. They were tender to probing, and were still juicy. I had some coals left over, so I may work on using fewer coals for shorter cooks. I was just happy that this time the coals didn't start to die down on me like they did in my last attempt.

One was a bit overdone on the tip, but that rack was slightly longer and very close to the coals. The family was very happy with the result, and very pleased that they weren't as salty as my last attempt!

Like you, I will keep trying!
    Attached Files

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great. That's the normal amount of pullback I'm used to seeing, and just didn't see that with this rack.

I mostly used a "full" 1/2 basket for ribs and tried not to overload the side with charcoal.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      A half basket is about what this sorted out to be, so that makes sense

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here