Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Fried Chicken Better Than KFC?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now if someone has a chicken recipe thats better than popeyes..... I'm all ears

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the correct reply to anything re: fried chicken.

Beating their chicken probably isn’t too hard but what about the coleslaw? For some reason I always loved that stuff

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      We go to KFC and just get a container of coleslaw. Almost weekly.

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      Never thought KFC coleslaw was anything special. Haven't had any of their chicken since they seem to have decided fat tastes better than the meat. But Dickies BBQ slaw to me is pretty d*** good. I go there for their slaw but cook my own pulled pork. I have thought about offering to show Dickies how to do their butts but then they probably wouldn't sell me any more of their slaw. As for your thighs, they look as good or better than any I have seen. Got to try that. Thanks and welcome to the Pit.
      Last edited by wu7y; July 1, 2020, 08:24 PM.

Looks deelish! I’ve seen that video before, but haven’t tried it. Now I will for sure. I also have a PBJ.
    Welcome to The Pit, and keep sharing the good work.

Comment

While I'm salivating over the thought of fried chicken now - if any of y'all happen through North West Arkansas - AQ Chicken house in Springdale is the absolute best fried chicken anywhere.

Springdale is where Tyson is HQ'd. AQ has been making chicken since forever. I haven't been there in years, but you won't find better.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit and great job on the chicken, that looks delish.

Comment

Nice first post - welcome to the Pit. If this is how you come out of the gate I hope you consider joining up. This recipe just became a must-try

Comment

Welcome Lefty! Oh man I can't wait to try this recipe thanks.

Comment

Fried Chicken on the PBC! Yum! I'm gonna have to give this a try. Thanks for the post lefty_burns .

One quick question for everyone. This recipe (like many) calls for corn starch as the first step in the breading sequence. I have a family member that is highly allergic to corn. Does anyone know of a substitute that will work in place of corn starch?

Comment

• tdimond
                tdimond commented
                Editing a comment
                Arrowroot might work.

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                Cornstarch is a powder made from corn that's widely used in cooking and baking. If you're out, don't worry — here are 11 substitutes for cornstarch.

• RogoTBull
                RogoTBull commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, perhaps I have answered my own question. White Rice Flour appears to be one of the preferred alternatives. I will give that a try. (Potato Starch is also another alternative, but the individual that is allergic to corn is also allergic to potato.)
                Last edited by RogoTBull; July 2, 2020, 03:12 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0F165664-D951-4B3E-B430-E632B042E2D3.jpeg
Views:	399
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	873786

After reading this post I would like to say welcome to the pit. I made some KFC like chicken as well it and turned out pretty good. My wife liked it, we will make this again. I cooked this indirect on my gas grill.

Comment

Speaking of KFC, how do they manage to get chickens cut up so that there's a little bit of back in every piece... ...even the drumsticks.

Comment

Made it today, pretty darn good. Next time I’ll add a little heat to the batter with some pepper flakes, but that is to our taste. Thanks, lefty!

Comment

Has anyone tried using this method with chicken breasts??

Comment

Fried chicken is never a mistake.

I'm thinking of having that printed and put on a t-shirt.

Comment

Looks killer, man...I've got to try it. Welcome from another new guy!

Comment

That recipes looks great. I am thinking of trying it with things like sweet and sour pork and chicken nuggets since my wife and I are starting to have more trouble with fried things. Thanks for the share.

Comment

• pkadare
                            pkadare commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I quite like it, however, a lot of the reviews I'd read complained that the basic dredge recipe was quite bland. Forewarned was forearmed so I amped mine up a bit with some jerk rub. Also, have a spray bottle of oil on hand in case you get any bits of the breading that look dry still after 1/2 the time on the pit.

• JimLinebarger
                            JimLinebarger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            pkadare I was thinking about using the same recipe for the oil fried process but just add the baking soda to the dredge and using the club soda. Having an oil spritzer is a great idea. The thing I noticed about the recipe is that he did not season the chicken itself. He relied totally on the breading seasoning.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here