Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC tri tip, tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great success.

Trimmed tri tip.
    ​​​​​​Marinade 4 hours.

Used 1 worth of chimney of briquettes in the basket. And 30 briquettes to light the baby up.
    PBC ran at 250.....and is still going WAY after the cook.

Smoked the tri tip to 110 internal temp.

​​​​​​Seared on the gasser to 135.

Came out exactly how we like it.

No leftovers. Happy family.

Attached Files

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      So this may not be as precise as you like, but here's what I did.
      I filled my chimney with briquettes. I had the end of a bag of B&B briquettes. (They burn a little hotter than KBB, from what I understand.)
      Dumped all those in the basket.

Then I counted out 30 briquettes of KBB into the chimney. Chimney was probably 2/3 full. BB briquettes and KBB aren't the same size.
      By my loose guestimation, I would consider the first amount the equivalent of 50 KBB briquettes.....

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      ...lit the chimney and let it go for 10 minutes. Most of the KBB was lit.
      Dumped that into the pbc and spread around, and added two tennis ball sized pieces of hickory chunk.
      Left the lid off for 5 mins.
      Closed the lid. Put magnets over 1 set of rebar holes. Rebar in the other. Let everything settle for 10 minutes.

Ran at 250 after that. Took the tri tip off the smoker after an hour. Smoked some sausage after that. Opened up all rebar holes and it got back to 270 for another hour.......

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      @Alabama Smoke
      Took the sausage off, disconnected the fireboard, and left the lid off. Coals ran for several more hours.

So in total

50ish briquettes in the baskets
      30 briquettes to light.
      10-5-10 on the timing.

with 1 rebar in and 2 holes covered stayed at 250.... and probably could have had 4-5 hours at that temp.

I would never do a tri-tip on a PBC that I could not control the temp on or have a Fireboard to know what the internal temp was.. To easy to over cook it.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a Fireboard. The old Maverick 732 would have worked too.

But definitely need to monitor temp.

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      I've cooked plenty of tri tips in my barrel. I don't control temperature but I do monitor temperatures in the cooker and in the meat. I don't think I've overcooked one. In fact, years ago I used to cook them in a pan on the stove or in the oven, both with temperature control but w/o an in-meat temp probe. I think I've overcooked them then. Temp probe is pretty handy.

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
    I would never do a tri-tip on a PBC that I could not control the temp on or have a Fireboard to know what the internal temp was.. To easy to over cook it.
    Too bad ... you’re missing out on a remarkable cook.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan you did not comprehend my post so why are you responding?

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      mountainsmoker - Really? You want to pick a fight over the fact that I made an innocuous response to your negative and rather ignorant post?

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ignorance is bliss.

mountainsmoker We all have our own personal preferences. I think tri tip on the PBC is great! I don’t even use a fireboard

(I do use a ThermoWorks Smoke )​​​​​

Comment

BFlynn thanks so much for the detailed response. I think that will help.

Comment

I find this to be helpful info.

From <https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-tip?pp=528364>

And I got this a while back from Kathryn.

Tri-Tip:
      • 1lb 3oz at 290 degF PBC temp: 38 minutes to 115 degF meat temp then reverse seared on gas grill to 130 degF
      • 1.83 lb at 270 deg F avg PBC temp: 40 minutes to 115 deg F meat temp then reverse seared on cast iron griddle heated to screaming hot on gas grill to 130 degF internal temp.
      • 2lb 2oz at 290 degF PBC temp: 51 minutes to 128 degF meat temp then reverse seared on gas grill to 130 degF
      • 2 lb 8 oz at 270 deg F PBC temp: 52 minutes to 135 deg F internal temp.
      • Unknown weight or PBC temp: 35 to 40 minutes to medium rare (Noah on PBC video)
      Last edited by SmokingSteve; June 20, 2020, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for re-posting this SmokingSteve . I have Tri Tip in the freezer begging to be eaten. I've never done one on my PBC. Maybe next week. Added to the "to be cooked" list!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here