Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Temp Range for Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Temp Range for Brisket

Hey Jerod or anyone for that matter,
    Doing my first whole packer in the PBC today. I know there are several factors involved in achieving a successful brisket cook but do you find your briskets generally turn out a little better in a certain temperature range in the PBC? You have cooked so many briskets in the PBC so I was curious to see if you have noticed any significant or even subtle changes in tenderness or juiciness at higher or lower temps.
    Last edited by Belco54; May 17, 2015, 08:11 AM.

I've cooked from just over 200 to about 350. No real difference as for as the overall product.

If I have the Pit Barrel filled with 4 or 5 briskets, I try to keep around 250. Any hotter seems to singe the bottoms a little more than I like, since it takes A LOT of heat at the bottom to have the moist air around those briskets pushing over 250.

If the brisket is over 18" long, I will either cut the point off where it meets the flat, or lower the charcoal level to about half, at the spot that the brisket will be hanging over.

Comment

My PBC seems to like to run at 275 degrees most of the time... and the briskets coming out of this thing are pretty awesome...

Comment

275 is the magic number for me as well when it comes to the PBC/brisket dance. You're going to love that brisket!

Kathryn

Comment

I totally agree with the 275 magic number. Especially with ribs and only one large chunk of meat.

"Magic" in that, that is what it ends up at, not that it is a necessary component to turn out outstanding food.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 17, 2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

The brisket could not have turned out better. Thank you Meathead, Jerod, and everyone else who contributed their "2 cents." I just nailed one of the most difficult cuts of meat thanks to you. Thank you, thank you, thank you! BTW I promise pics next time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here