Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody hear about a 55 gal PBC coming out this spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody hear about a 55 gal PBC coming out this spring?

I see a few people on a couple other boards mention that a 55 gallon version of the PBC is coming out sometime around spring. I haven't seen anything official to confirm this so I was wondering if anyone here has heard any similar rumblings?

I have not heard anything on this, But I thought they went smaller with the original design because they couldn't get consistent temperatures and cooking experiences with a 55gal during testing?

Comment

I heard the same thing. They had to get it figured out eventually though. There are too many 55 gal drum smokers that perform well already for there not to have been a solution.

Comment

Yes, they are. I have heard it from the horse's mouth (Amber herself, and I am not calling her a horse).

You can hear it too in a PitCast from back in December, at about the 15:50 mark: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...cember-19-2019

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          Yes, they are. I have heard it from the horse's mouth (Amber herself, and I am not calling her a horse).

You can hear it too in a PitCast from back in December, at about the 15:50 mark: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...cember-19-2019
          I heard the same interview and I can’t wait for the larger model. The only reason I purchased the 2 Louisiana Grill pellet smokers I have is because I couldn’t fit briskets and ribs in the PBC at the same time.

Comment

Ok, I’m callin ya out bud, fellow Wisconsinite. Git over to interducin yerself. Welcome, eat good & have fun like ya already are. 🕶

Comment

Interesting development. It will be nice to have the extra capacity. Now......how much do they want for it? $500? $600+?

Comment

I wonder if it will actually have some vents to allow for temperature control. That would be nice.

Kathryn

Comment

I wonder how much more charcoal this 55-Gallon rig would need as well.........

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                    Alabama Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was wondering the same thing. Significantly more I would expect as the 55 is almost twice as large as the 30. I will watch with interest, but do not believe I will need the extra capacity as I normally cook for 15 or fewer folks.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I have no reason to buy a bigger one, either. I also have 3 of the 30 inch models, so I already have plenty of capacity. LOL. Alabama Smoke

I wonder how they'll modify the barrel as well. I thought they tested a bunch of different barrel sizes and settled on the 30 gallon size because it proved the optimal size for cook times, fire control, temperature, etc.

Comment

• RobertC
                    RobertC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's what they wanted you to believe, and (evidently) lots of reviewers believed it. Rather than modify the barrel, I'm thinking they'll modify their story.

• Beefchop
                    Beefchop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    RobertC I mean, I have no reason to disbelieve them. It doesn't mean they didn't have success with the 55 gallon size or that it wasn't a viable option. I'm sure there were other factors that went into their decision to launch their company with the 30 gallon size. I had one for about 2 years and had no issues cooking on it. It was the perfect size for me at the time.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That was my though exactly when I first hear that Pitcast.

I'm thinking its to compete with the likes of Gateway & Hunsaker, so it'll probably be priced accordingly. Should be interesting to see how it develops.

Comment

Now I'm sitting on the edge of my chair------again! It will be fun to see what direction they go with this.

Comment

I feel like I cook for a fair amount of people at times, but definitely don't need more space than the regular PBC. I've made 10 racks of ribs on it with ease, 2 full packer briskets, and 4 pork shoulders (not at once obviously). I understand the guys who do tons for competitions and the one off parties, but what do most of you need more space for?

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree. I certainly don't need a bigger one. If anything I've considered downsizing to the smaller one (but I probably won't). I cook for 5-10 with it and find it adequately large. But I'm not a competitor, I am just a Homeowner Joe.

BBQCentralShow Greg Rempe had also done an interview back at the end of last year with Amber on his regular podcast as well as the one Huskee mentioned from the Pitcast. It was from the Second Hour of his December 17th show titled "A Bigger Pit Barrel Cooker is Coming in 2020!!"

Comment

I own 2 of the PBXs. I plan on converting one into a low and slow smoker.

Comment

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is all I ever used them for. What do you usually use them for?

• tenphases
                          tenphases commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A few magnets and you can run it like a UDS and not alter it if that interests you. But I get it unless you're a caterer two PBXs' can be overkill.

• Duanessmokedmeats
                          Duanessmokedmeats commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I just did pork butt and ribs, and I let it run.
                          Just a few times I had to use a piece of foil to crack the lid.
                          Also 2 bricks on the lid, this was the 3rd or 4th cook.
                          It chugged along @300, for the first few hours then settled at 260-270.
                          Yes I am starting a small smoked meat business.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here