Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally had a perfect PBC cook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally had a perfect PBC cook!

Wow, everything absolutely came together tonight: a completely stress-free, perfect PBC cook. Quick background: I've had my PBC since late November and this is my....probably eighth or ninth cook on the thing. There is a bit of a learning curve with these things, but it is not large or steep.

I did Steven Raichlen's pork loin reuben, which is one of my favorite things to cook. So simple, yet very uniquely flavored. (And it is wrapped in bacon, so there's that, of course!) Recipe is here: https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/pork-loin-reuben/

Everything flowed. I did the 15-10-10 lighting method for a while, but I've since switched back to the traditional PBC lighting method. I got the pork loin on the grate, put the rebars in after running the probes through a hole, and put on the lid and my bricks.

The PBC purred along, climbing from about 190 to 320 and holding there. (Outside temp was 55, and I wonder if that really kept the PBC temp in check.) It took about 80 minutes for the roast to hit 145 and during that entire time I never once opened the lid. Set it and forget it!

What a wonderful smoker! So glad I got it. It fits how at this time in my life I like to do smoking and BBQ. I am having so much more success with it than with my Kettle, which is now relegated to direct grilling only (at which it excels).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3665.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.25 MB ID:	793647Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3666.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	793646

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Looks like you nailed it !!!!!
      Ill take a slice

Comment

Congrats on a great cook. You might want to consider getting a seal for the lid and ditch the bricks ,etc. Then that PBC will really purr. Brookie

Comment

A gasket is on my list. My hope is that over the next two months or so the lid will gunk up enough for me to dispense with the bricks entirely.

Comment

• Brookie
            Brookie commented
            Editing a comment
            Just go for the gasket. Cheers

Great when everything comes together and life's a dream with excellent BBQ.
          That was not my day today, cold wind and a wicked stall got the better of me on a pork shoulder. Nine hours on my Keg with internal temp stalled at 160 for 3 hours. Finally finished in the oven as the coals gave out on me. I gotta find some better chunk charcoal.
          Congrats on your smoke, looks delicious.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            14-F and below can do that, or so I've heard

Man dem barrels are shiney!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, for now at least....it's only two months old and stays covered.

Nice cook! Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

Congrats! PBC, PBC, pbc…….

Comment

Boy that looks tasty. Good jon.

Comment

Very nice. Looks wicked good. Anything wrapped in bacon is better

Comment

Looks like a great cook! I love it when the PBC just does its thing. I’ve got to try that recipe too! We’ve been cooking a lot of them in the rotisserie recently, but it might be time to add some smoke.

Comment

Looks mighty tasty, it’s fun when a cook comes together.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here