Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First PB on The PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First PB on The PBC

I am a BBQ newb trying to Q my first pork butt ever and thought I would try to document it here. I am hoping to do this in the PBC for the full cook, starting with a hang until 160 IT and then moving to the grate unwrapped. I think I will only do 1 of these approx 9lb butts for now, save the other one in the fridge for next weekend. In reading through the forum and Huskee's recommendations, I will likely cut each of these 9lb'rs in half.

I have some questions for the pro's out there.

As you can see I picked up a double pack of PB recently that is boneless, I didn't see any at the store that had the bone still in. Based on these being boneless, does that mean I will have to tie these up before I can hang?

I have never tied anything but I am assuming I can just pick up some butchers string/twine or something at the grocery store?

I am looking to start this cook first thing Sunday morning. Should I dry-brine the butt ASAP or just wait until 24 hrs prior? I figured I would rub down with mustard or olive oil and apply MMD prior to hanging. Do you wrap a PB in plastic while dry-brining or leave it uncovered?

Well thats it for now. I will continue to post as I progress in this process.
    Thanks for all your help thus far!

How long do you have planned? My guess is it will take around 8-10 hours.
    I would tie it up, it will help you keep it on the hook and keep the flaps there from getting dry. You can get butcher string most places, though it may be with crafts.
    I dry brine 24-36 hours in advance when possible. I wrap in plastic wrap while brining.

Good luck, use 4 hooks!

Comment

I agree with John. Personally I inject and rub the PB the day before then wrap in plastic.

Comment

I dry brine and leave it unwrapped/uncovered on a pan. There is a chemical reaction that happens with the salt and the oxygen that helps to break it down into the molecules needed to penetrate the meat. There was a good article on AR covering this.

Jim

Comment

OK. I have it dry-brining in the fridge now. First time seeing a pork butt, much less a boneless one. The meat seems a bit mangled so I will definitely be tie-ing these up. I did wind up cutting the pork in half. I didn't weigh them but I am thinking one is about 3.5-4 lbs and the other is 5lbs.

_John_ Based on feedback from others cooking PB unwrapped on the PBC, the time-frame of 8-10 hrs (temp depending), is what I was anticipating. I will mound up the charcoal basket as I high as I can but I am prepared for potentially having to add more briquettes late in the cook.

A bit scared to post pictures after I have tied them up. I dont know what I am doing so I am sure they will look disastrous. Speaking of which, do you put the rub on after or before tieing?

Comment

Rub before you tie. Then touch up if needed.

Comment

Don't sweat the PBC so much. I once ran mine for eleven hours without doing anything special. And that's just when I stopped checking.

Comment

• Tim E
                Tim E commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Jordan. I hope that is the case. I tend to over-think these things anytime I am trying something new.

Interesting that Cash & Carry didn't have bone-in butts, they always have them at the two near me.

The smaller lumps will probably cook faster than you think, so keep an eye on the internal temps. I've had one pair of those that went straight through a stall.

If you think they are going long, a good time to add some charcoal is when moving them to the rack.

Comment

• Tim E
                Tim E commented
                Editing a comment
                That is odd Bruce. Maybe I didn't look thorough enough! Thanks for the warning on timing.

Originally posted by Tim E View Post
              The meat seems a bit mangled
              Sometimes that bone doesn't want to come out and it looks like you did it with a weed whacker. I rub and then tie and I can tell you now mine doesn't look any better than yours. They need to be tied but I don't like it, mine get cooked into the bark and are pretty tough to remove or take the bark with it.

When is this cook starting? I am putting on a 9 pounder in t-11 hours. As Bruce said they could cook a bit faster, but I like time in the faux cambro afterward anyway, so never a problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Sometimes that bone doesn't want to come out and it looks like you did it with a weed whacker. I rub and then tie and I can tell you now mine doesn't look any better than yours. They need to be tied but I don't like it, mine get cooked into the bark and are pretty tough to remove or take the bark with it.
                Thanks thats comforting I guess, to know that what I am seeing is somewhat normal

Originally posted by John View Post

When is this cook starting? I am putting on a 9 pounder in t-11 hours. As Bruce said they could cook a bit faster, but I like time in the faux cambro afterward anyway, so never a problem for me.
                I was going to start mine around 6 am Sunday, PST. I am throwing on a rack of BB's on the PBC soon for dinner tonight

Comment

Well we'll be cooking together somewhat, mine is staying whole and the coals go on at 2 for a lunchtime finish. I'll check in from time to time to see if you have any questions pop up.

Comment

• Tim E
                    Tim E commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks John!

I'm really enjoying reading this topic, Tim E. Keep us posted. I love hearing about PB on the PBC.

And good luck, _John_, with you lunchtime PB fest. Hope the timing worked out good for you. Did you do it on the PBC?

Kathryn

Comment

• _John_
                    _John_ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Always! I can't remember one being that barked up by 160, this thing will be a meteor for sure.

Well they are on as of 6:45, running behind schedule. One weighed in just over 6lbs and the other 3.5lbs. I was hoping I had cut them more proportionate,oh well. I slathered in mustard and half MMD and wrapped in plastic last night. After touching up the rub this morning I stuck them on a sheet pan on the freezer while I was getting the PBC ready. 20 min or so, just wanted to make sure they were good and cold for smoke absorption

Comment

Looks good, mine are chugging right along. In cold weather when doing stuff overnight I usually checked and tweaked every couple hours, but it has warmed up lately and I didn't need to touch it until 8 when I took it to the grate. Of course I woke up often to check it, but didn't need to. Even though they are different weights, I bet they are done at nearly the same time.

Comment

_John_ how many hrs of cooktime until it hit the grate? Do you monitor your pit temp? Curious what your avg temp is.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here