Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder cook raised some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder cook raised some questions

So this was my second cook on the PBC, and I went with a 10 lb boneless shoulder, cut into two roughly equal pieces. For some reason, the temp climbed through the first hour to hour and a half, and somewhere around 380, I decided to foil one of the rebar holes, as it just didn't seem to be coming down. Finally, about 2 1/2 hours in, it was coming down to around 280, but I had to step out for a couple of hours. When I came back, the temp was 180, and the coals were almost out. I think the earlier high heat had burned them through too quickly. The meat was about 170 internal, so I pulled it out, wrapped it in foil, and stuck it in the oven at 290. About 2 hours later, pulled 'em out at 198 and 201, and popped them into the cooler for a hour. Finally, just in time for dinner, pulled them and they were perfect and delicious. But I am curious about the temp... on my first cook, the heat started up in the mid 300's, but had settled down to about 270 within an hour. Maybe I had the lid off longer at the beginning this time? Maybe a I used little more charcoal? It worked out fine, but I was a little unsettled by the heat.

Any thoughts from the experts?
    Last edited by mayapoppa; April 20, 2015, 04:56 PM.

Nothing brings up the temp in a Pit Barrel like extra air flow up top.

I cooked a chuck roast the other night. Had the Pit settled at 260-264. Things cooled off a lot and it dropped down to 225 late in the cook (early morning hours). I pulled my magnets off one hole and went back to bed. An hour later it was right above 300.

I like high heat (325+) with butts when they hit the stall. I usually have to crack the lid to get it that high.

Comment

Well, it came out great, but I just feel like I was out of control of the cook. How long do you expect to see the 325+ temps at the beginning of a cook before you see it come down? I know you are a big advocate of making sure it hits a high temp at the beginning, but this seemed like it went on too long...

Comment

It varies. I light up with the lighter fluid method. On a warm afternoon with just ribs and the pit in direct sunlight, it might take 1/2 hour to drop back down. And that is only preheating 15 minutes and hanging the ribs right away.

I cook so much with the B & B and a pit FULL of meat (4 briskets, or 3 butts, etc..), it is hard to compare to the Kingsford, when you are dropping that much cold meat in there.

Comment

Thanks... looks like I have more experimenting to do. Gosh, what a burden!

Comment

The only time that the temp in my PBC climbs like that (when I'm not intentionally trying to make it climb, that is) is when the lid is not on tight. Sometimes the lid looks like it's on securely but it really isn't. So when the temp starts to run away, I check the lid.

Just a thought,

Kathryn

Comment

I did notice that maybe the lid wasn't quite on... but it wasn't enough to be sure. Next time I will pay more attention to that. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here