Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lump charcoal starting in the PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lump charcoal starting in the PBC?

Hello All,
    Was curious to hear how you would start a load of Lump charcoal in your PBC.
    Could you sue the 15-10-10 method for lump as well?

Thank you

Chris

Light some in chimney starter first

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      The 15-10-10 method uses a chimney starter. That's what the 15 refers to. See fzxdoc post on this, which is a sticky in the PBC sub-channel.

15-10-10 should work fine

Comment

Thank you all for the responses --

Happy New Year

Comment

I used to be in the lump camp. Then I read Meathead's article on charcoal and tried briquettes. He's right, it's better, or at least easier. It's so much easier to count out briquettes and note the number for each cook than to try to gestimate lump. I find I'm able to be much more consistent in my cooks after switching.

Comment

I start my lump-in-the-basket with KBB (Kingsford Original) in the chimney. That way I'm sure to get a more even light. 15-10-10 works well for that.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of lump in the PBC because of a lack of consistency with temps for longer cooks. Fine for short cooks, though. I use it in the PBC because I have a couple of bags of lump to use up.

Ditto with my WSCGC. It's much better-behaved with briquettes than with lump, although I do use lump with it in kamado mode.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; January 2, 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't light lump personally on the PBC for a couple reasons:

The PBC is rigid with the amount of charcoal you have to use and it's difficult to snuff out the fire to reuse, making it inefficient for most cooks. The cost per cook would be too high for me. (You can completely remove the charcoal basket and place it in a galvanized trashcan, but it's a fire hazard if you're on a wood deck like me).

Secondly, the PBC doesn't offer a great deal of control. Which has it's pros and cons of course, but the biggest way you control the cook is for the reason you're asking. The variability of lump is going to cause inconsistency in the cook (OR cook to cook) that you don't have the ability to correct for as you go along. Depending on piece size/how it falls in the cooker etc (air flow, thermal potential of the amount added, other things I'm not thinking of right now). This is going to give you a lot of trouble with repeatability over time.

If it was me and I was getting rid of some lump in the PBC, I would ease it way back on the lighting procedures and crack the lid as needed till I got things stabilized. Perhaps 8-5-5 and go from there.

Comment

Thank you All for the posts.
              This is great information and I truly appreciate the assistance

Cheers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here