Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way to Use Wood on my PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Use Wood on my PBC

I have both wood chips and wood chunks at home. I generally soak them and then toss them on top of the coals in the PBC once I have it to temperature. However, I find sometimes that the wood chips can snuff out the fire and lower temperatures.

What does the group find to be the best way to incorporate A) wood chips and what is the best method for B) wood chunks?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Just quit soaking them and you should be ok, all wet chips does is put out your fire. Wood can't burn until it is dry, and 300+ degrees, water evaporates at 212 so you are doing nothing but creating a lot of steam until the water burns off.
    I prefer chunks, I put a couple on as soon as I dump the coals to let it burn down to a clean smoke and then add the food.

Comment

Place the chunks directly under the hot coals. I have never had any luck with chunks on top of coals.

Comment

I do like Ernest. Several chunks amongst the unlit coals, then dump the live ones on top. I give it about ten minutes to catch, but I still get a lot of less than pretty smoke.

Comment

I use only a few chunks... last cook I used two roughly 1" cubes of hickory right under the coal basket handle and two fist sized chunks of applewood... in both cases right on top... I had four half-chickens (9 lbs total weight) and it worked perfectly. Must say applewood on chicken is nice... a light smoke flavor. Hickory was totally consumed within 30 minutes which was the plan so to speak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here