Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Pork Belly Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Pork Belly Question

Has anyone cubed and skewered pork belly on the PBC?

I cubed a bunch a couple of weeks ago, didn't have enough room so I froze what couldn't fit on the PBC. Any reason why once thawed, and rubbed they couldn't be put on a PBC skewer?

Side note, about 10 months ago I put a couple of tubes of breakfast sausage on some PBC skewers instead of the grate. Seemed like a good idea at the time...I don't recommend doing this. The Pit probably could have prevented that one, lol!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_160925 (1).jpg
Views:	787
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	754773

When I have done bacon in the past I forgot that I had a PBC which would have made it sooo easy. Think this next month we will need more so it is on my mind to use the PBC. I do have the hook hanger with like 7 spikes. I wouldn't be using the PBC hooks. But using 2 per slab should work.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm liking that idea.

K.

I think Spinaker has done pork belly burnt ends by cubing and skewering them on his PBC?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, See below! (thanks for the heads up)

The PBC cooks to hot for making bacon unless you can get it down to 180-190 and hold it till the pork belly gets to 150-155, which is a safe and cooked meat temp. You need a smoker that can go low and slow. The PBC is not it. But it should make some great chopped/burnt ends.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 12, 2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Read the article.

" I cannot recommend any cooking below 200°F minimum. And even that is not ideal. The AmazingRibs.com science advisor Prof. Greg Blonder explains: "Even 200°F is tricky because evaporation can cool the meat and keep it in the danger zone for a long time, a phenomenon called 'the stall'.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      To be fair, I think everyone is getting tired of you thinking you know everything. Not to mention how you handle people who disagree with you. (Prime example is above) This is a place for discussion. If you have a problem with people feeling the way they do, perhaps this isn't the place for you. mountainsmoker

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      mountainsmoker I would suggest, if you really are tired of "you people thinking I don't knowing what I am talking about" then you should simply just stop talking and we wouldn't know you don't know what you are talking about. Or find a forum where people think like you do. Or start you own forum and tell everyone they have to like what you think.

I’ve made great bacon on the PBC!

Comment

I do this to make pork belly burnt ends. It works great. It makes the whole process a lot easier than having them laid out on a wire rack. Once they are cooked, you can simply put the end of the skewer in a pan and slide them all off for glazing. Plus, you get that awesome PBC flavor and char on the meat. IMHO, for PBBEs or pork belly, the PBC works great. (Just make sure to keep your lid sealed up well, flare ups can be an issue.)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpeg
Views:	671
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	755183Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	755182

Comment

• cashelton
        cashelton commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect answer to my question! Thanks @Spinaker

...and those look delicious!!!

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you just pull them, sauce them, and then switch to running hot and finish them on the skewers? Trying to determine if laziness would pay off here. :-)

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I pull them off, throw them in a foil pan and put them back on. At that point, you can use your oven. Although, you certainly could dip them sauce, leave them on the skewer and re hang them. But then you would be loosing the braising step which I think is important. Polarbear777 So laziness might not pay off here.

I don't think you will have any trouble after freezing. Just throw them on and let it rip!

Comment

• cashelton
        cashelton commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the tips!

I’m gonna have to try PBBE on PBC skewers! I just got my PBC skewers and haven’t used them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
        I’m gonna have to try PBBE on PBC skewers! I just got my PBC skewers and haven’t used them yet.
        It makes it really easy, and you can have a TON of bites in there. Way more than you can fit on one wire rack or even two.

And if you really loaded up with skewers you could have MILLIONS!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Lucky you! That stuff is amazing. Yeah the PBC is a rock! Red Man

• Bobmcgahan
          Bobmcgahan commented
          Editing a comment
          How long did those take to cook? They look amazing.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Only a few hours, you might want to go a little longer as I took these off early to braise them. Just gotta make sure the lid is sealed tight. Bobmcgahan

Spinaker I’d eat that!!

Comment

I apologize to all for taking the topic off line as JimLinebarger brought up bacon. I know only a few things very well and a few things pretty well and some things not very well at all. I joined to learn and advise, not to intimidate, but apparently my tone is not appreciated. I will try to tone it down.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 13, 2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. Remember, our "Rules and Guidelines" is the final authority, and it is in place to address folks who cannot get along with others and persistently cause disruption to our friendly atmosphere. We all do well to pay special attention to #2, #3, and #13 in cases of disagreement. Here's the link for ease of review, please click it and review it: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...and-guidelines

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            mountainsmoker We all live and learn! I'm looking forward to learning more off what you got stored up with BBQ. Your idea of toning it down is a good one, and I can't wait to see pics of your cooks and talking to you about good BBQ!

I don’t have a PBC, but I do have an elevated skewer rack for the Weber kettle. This looks like a terrific idea.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Give it a go man. I think you will like it.

I tried to make pbbe’s on my PBC Sunday. Initial smoke three hours and they turned to cinders, and no amount of braising/saucing can fix that. Next time I will check them at two hours!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, another reason to not cook by time.....always cook by temp. That is a bummer, sorry to hear.

Live and learn, right? 😊 I was going by other recipes, should’ve known better! Buying another pb slab and back at it! I’m guessing around 205?

Comment

At least it wasn’t a $200 tenderloin!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here