Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steaks?

Has anyone tried hanging rib eye or NT strip steaks in their PBC or have you just used the grill?

Hmmmmm? Great question.

Comment

I'm not a fan if PBC steaks. IMHO It doesn't get hot enough to sear. Never tried hanging one, might be an interesting way to reverse sear a steak but would take a separate grills or a chimney full of hot coals with a grate on it to get the sear. More work than I'm willing to do.

Comment

Hmmmm. I haven't. That's what my kettle and SnS is for. I thought. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Comment

It seems to me that the PBC runs too hot for the slow part, and not hot enough for the sear. BUT, do let us know how it turns out if you try it.

Comment

Had a PBC for 2 years and it did not sear worth a darn. Don't ruin your nice steaks by trying to sear them on it. It is a fine little smoker, though new ones have surpassed it. I have not got one of them yet but based on the review here and other info, I just may break down and get one.

Comment

Maybe a whole boneless rib roast or a whole sirloin strip,,,not an individual steak
              PBC is a longer cooking device and a steak 1-1/2” or more you can reverse sear
              thinner,,,put it on the coals and let it rip

Comment

I got some nice prime ribeye caps from Costco this week and cooked them on the PBC using Kingsford Competition briquettes. Used Kathryn's coal lighting formula. They were excellent. I did not hang them but used the grill.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad the lighting method worked so well for you, Bobmcgahan .

Kathryn

I've done the first step of reverse searing a steak on the PBC many a time. Then I sear the steak off on my Summit gasser.

Picked up some picanha/coulotte steaks from the not-so-local butcher shop and will be doing them on the PBC vertical skewers for grins and giggles.

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Picanha !!!!! #1

recently, most steaks get the griddle. Mainly out of convenience. Have some sirloin chops for today after church.

Comment

I love making a big old cowboy ribeye on the PBC. I drill a hole through the bone, then place the hook through theugh hole and hang. You get great flavor, especially if you throw in some oak at the start of the cook.

I will take it off the PBC and sear it on the KJ Jr. The PBC is not really set up for searing anyway, so it is to be expected.

Comment

Yea you poor PBC folks don't have the ability to sear a steak, pity. My WSM can hang the steak with my Hunsaker meat hanger attachment and sear it on the lower grate like a Santa Maria grill. Ahh yes the versatile WSM

Click image for larger version

Name:	picanha 03.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	749246

Comment

I stand up a cinder block inside the Barrell and set the charcoal basket right on top of it with an indirect set up. The fire is then just a couple inches below the grill..know what I mean

Comment

• NSR_BBQ
                        NSR_BBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I added three bolts to my PBC about 6" above the charcoal basket, so I could put a wire rack closer to the fire. When I'm cooking steaks, I'll fill only one half with charcoal to create a direct and indirect zone to cook on. Standard thickness steaks will go on the indirect side for 5-7 minutes per side, then they are placed in the direct zone for 30-60 seconds per side.

Having a rack lower in the PBC is also great if you ever have anything fall off a hook or the rebar....

I consider my PBC as a smoker not a grill. My chimney starter is the best steak searing machine I've found. I front sear then dump the charcoal on one side of my kettle and finish low. I get great results this way and only use a 1/2 chimney load of briquettes.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                        MBMorgan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bingo!

No on using the hooks. I use the grate, cook until about 110-115 internal, then raise the basket of coals with a metal stand made from square tubing. Let's you sear steaks great. For one steak indirect on the gasser until 115, reverse sear over a Weber chimney is perfect.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here